Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
In an environment where these auto jobs are in demand, workers say they have little recourse in conflicts with management. A few weeks after Capetillo and his colleagues complained, they were fired or forced to resign — 17 workers out of a plant that employs roughly 5,000 people. The months since, they say, have been a losing battle against unresponsive union representatives and an apathetic state government.
That sounds terrible. It would be nice if we could give labourers a fair wage no matter where they are building cars.

·
Registered
401 Posts
That has me wondering how workers are treated impacts the product, which won't be good. If that's how they treat workers in those situations, it can't be good elsewhere.

·
Registered
370 Posts
That has me wondering how workers are treated impacts the product, which won't be good. If that's how they treat workers in those situations, it can't be good elsewhere.
Definitely can't be good for the end product and for consumers, we'll end up finding out the hard way.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mexico does not conjure up images of fairness and equality.
In 3rd world countries this is always the problem, unskilled labor is to an extend exploited by employers since where else will they get employment. If they are not willing to work under the conditions then there are many others that will.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Hopefully having the production there leads to better conditions and wages over time. That happened in China and Vietnam to a certain degree.

I think that fair is a bit relative, but generally if you think of how you would like to be treated in that situation, I think that is a good starting point to figure out if something is "fair".

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hopefully having the production there leads to better conditions and wages over time. That happened in China and Vietnam to a certain degree.

I think that fair is a bit relative, but generally if you think of how you would like to be treated in that situation, I think that is a good starting point to figure out if something is "fair".
but not if it leaves you uncompetitive... global business doesn't care about fair it cares about competition and if that extra 2 dollars per worker per hour is holding them back, then you better bet they'll do something about it...

Mexicans also find themselves exploited becuase it is the cheapest nation of production in NAFTA... free trade created this circumstance... ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts