Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, fro those who have the SD card for the Nav. Is the navigation voice activated? Without the manual I was curious how it works, perhaps similar to a Garmin? Thks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yep! You press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "Navigate to an address" then it will ask the address. I'm sure there are other commands too, thats just the one I have used.

Overall, the Nav works pretty good - it will get you there, but not always the fastest way (the traffic avoidance is 'meh'...). Currently, my wife and I are house hunting and are driving to lots of strange locations - If nothing else, i have found the nav very useful for seeing the next upcoming street.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep! You press the voice button on the steering wheel and say "Navigate to an address" then it will ask the address. I'm sure there are other commands too, thats just the one I have used.

Overall, the Nav works pretty good - it will get you there, but not always the fastest way (the traffic avoidance is 'meh'...). Currently, my wife and I are house hunting and are driving to lots of strange locations - If nothing else, i have found the nav very useful for seeing the next upcoming street.
Nice! I wonder where the best place would be to purchase the card? There is no way I could give $400.00

·
Registered
206 Posts
I got mine from the dealer for $299, which is supposedly their cost. Most dealers will give you a bit of a discount off MSRP if you purchased your car from them. I'm sure there are some on eBay, etc, but just be cautious.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I bet even at that 'cost' they still make a profit, but they could be telling the truth since giving you some incentives now helps in getting you to come back as a repeat customer for service and parts.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I find myself wondering why pay for this navigation system when you can just use Google maps on your phone and its the best map system and is free (other than your data plan).

·
Registered
401 Posts
I find myself wondering why pay for this navigation system when you can just use Google maps on your phone and its the best map system and is free (other than your data plan).
That's what i'm doing and have been doing for years, always find it to be much better. Plus you can't really beat Google maps, just about the best mapping system on the market for obvious reasons... it's google!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just ordered my SD card. yup my phone does not connect so this card will work the nav just fine for me. Does anyone know how many updates and how to get the updates to the card?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I have just ordered my SD card. yup my phone does not connect so this card will work the nav just fine for me. Does anyone know how many updates and how to get the updates to the card?
According to the Scion iA website, it includes three years of updates. It will be updated via a website. But apparently the website isn't ready yet.

https://www.scion.com/models/iA/2016/audio

·
Registered
12 Posts
Expanding on the topic, do you believe that there will ever be a third part option available?

·
Registered
143 Posts
I could see Mazda adding CarPlay or android auto to the infotainment system at some point, but whether we'll see updates at regular intervals or not is kinda up in the air. I've emailed this question to Toyota/Scion but haven't heard anything back.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That's one of the things I like about the 2016 Chevy Spark and the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage hatchback and G4 sedan. But for a better driving experience the Scion iA would have to be the right choice. It's turning in to a Toyota iA shortly, and, what's nice is I have a Toyota dealer here in town. But the Android Auto looks like it'll be a great interface - I just don't know if the Spark would be too small a rig or not. Owners say it's plenty roomy up front in the cockpit.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Spark is small, but it all depends on what you need space for? Is it just for you, or is it for passengers, or cargo? The Spark is one of the smallest vehicles that Chevy sells so it is likely pretty darn small.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I like it's fuel economy of course, it's just the Mrs. and I. Occasionally we'll take our Chow Chow and Pomeranian for a ride and a walk somewhere. I think the Chevy Spark would work for us - the car gets 31 mpg city and 40 mpg highway. I could pick one up for around $12,500 so that plays in to it, too. Our '11 Kia Soul only has 60,933 miles on it and doesn't by any means need replacing, either. I just love the hunt for a new rig and, of course, the new rig. I'd love Android Auto, which the new Spark has. I don't like the old Spark design, it looked goofy with those weird headlights. The new one looks good to me, though. The Toyota Yaris iA is a great new rig, too, I think Toyota should drop Android Auto and Apple Car Play in the car, too, for even a better deal.

The Yaris iA would definitely beat out the Chevy Spark in driving competition, yes. The 2016 Chevy Spark's competition is more like the 2017 Mitsubishi Mirage and new model G4 sedan.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts