Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an iA, and I'm trying to decide whether it would be worth it to buy the SD card for the navigation system. Does it come with updates? Does it show traffic or weather? A basic GPS with no frills is not worth $419 (or even $300 on ebay...), but if it comes with traffic/weather/free updates it might be worth it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Break your car's warranty and get Android Auto problem solved. If you have a iphone, well wait for Car Play or manually install Asia's M6 firmware.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The nav you get on the SD card doesn't have traffic/weather and relies on the dealer for updates(maybe once a year if we're lucky). There's no way it could get traffic/weather since the car doesn't have an internet connection.

I've installed the Mazda firmware and their maps based on Jin's instructions, which seem a tick better than Toyota's, but still it's not something worth $400. If you're daring enough, maybe try it out. But I'd recommend a phone as your navigation. It's miles away better and free-er.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am a cheapskate, asking the question: Why not 2 screens instead of just 1?

I plugged in our 2009 model 3.5 inch Garmin Nuvi in the cig lighter. The screen fits nicely in the console. I liked having a different infotainment screen up while the GPS was shown below, no need to switch screens. Served me well in recent trip to Northern Michigan.

Sunk cost: Purchase of Garmin in 2009
Updated Maps cost us some $$$ in 2015 - downloaded from the net.

Data from satellite is free. I can easily unplug the GPS and put in my wife's car when ever we want.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Break your car's warranty and get Android Auto problem solved. If you have a iphone, well wait for Car Play or manually install Asia's M6 firmware.
For the average person here breaking warranty won't be an easy idea to digest.

I guess it will just take seeing some timeline of those that have done it and how it has worked out for them.

·
Registered
204 Posts
If you have an iPhone you can do what I did and get the anti gravity case and then turn off the infotainment screen in the car and put your phone on it, it's cheaper and works better than the navigation in my opinion (my bf's father has the Toyota navigation in the Camry he just bought... doesn't work well at all, I used my phone instead when I borrowed it)

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have an iPhone you can do what I did and get the anti gravity case and then turn off the infotainment screen in the car and put your phone on it, it's cheaper and works better than the navigation in my opinion (my bf's father has the Toyota navigation in the Camry he just bought... doesn't work well at all, I used my phone instead when I borrowed it)
The scion ia nav is a mazda based system not toyota. The mazda infotainment system including nav is a better thought out system than toyota.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had been thinking about adding navigation to my new Yaris iA. Even though I have both Apple and Google navigation apps on my phone, there have been cases where I don't have a cell signal and the map info hasn't been available. Plus, having it built into that larger display is just a lot more convenient and easier to access.

I took the plunge and bought the navigation card from a seller on Amazon. Buying through eBay makes me a bit nervous, and I know Amazon will most likely back me up. I paid $176.40 for it. I was worried that I might get a bootleg copy of the chip, but no, it came in original, sealed, Toyota packaging. Installation was super easy, of course. And I plugged it into my computer to update the maps to the most recent version, issued in February 2017.

I haven't used it much for navigation yet, but so far I like it just fine. The top of the screen continuously shows the next upcoming street; the voice is pleasant enough. So for the money I feel like I got a good deal. The only thing I don't have is the manual for the nav system, but that was readily available online and now I have it on my phone for easy reference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would like to have the factory nav just to have it, but just not sure if I want to pay that much. I have my phone mounted if I need Google Maps or Waze while I hold out for Android Auto.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts