Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, just got a smoking deal on this from Larson Toyota in Tacoma. Traded my 2016 Jeep Patriot Sport FWD with 20k on it. Was looking for something with better gas mileage and at a cheap price. Can't beat Toyota at that still.

Anyways mods!
-35% tint from Magic Tint in Puyallup
-Plasti dipped front and rear Toyota emblems
-Removed "iA" badge front trunk lid
-Nav SD card from eBay for $90 shipped
-Touchscreen operating while driving

Still need to do:
-Wrap, paint, dip front grill chrome surround (fins)
-LED bulbs in headlight housing
-Factory Armrest

If anybody has any tips and tricks for the front headlight bulbs or factory armrest please let me know.

Thanks and happy to be here!

·
Registered
13 Posts
How did you get the touchscreen to operate while driving? I would like to do that.
I'm also thinking about plasti dipping my emblems did you take them off first?
I bought my armrest from Amazon it was the part for the scion ia but fit the yaris just the same. I was going to put it in myself but it requires disassembling the entire center console area. I ended up just paying the dealer to install it but it was worth it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you get the touchscreen to operate while driving? I would like to do that.
I'm also thinking about plasti dipping my emblems did you take them off first?
I bought my armrest from Amazon it was the part for the scion ia but fit the yaris just the same. I was going to put it in myself but it requires disassembling the entire center console area. I ended up just paying the dealer to install it but it was worth it.
Followed this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/dY8y_80C6Uc

I plasti dip'd them on the car. Just covered a massive area of it with painters tape and cutting open 32 gallon trash bags.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Here this is what I received today. Not sure what the factory one looks like but this is working like a charm just plugged it into the SD reader and I had maps!
I got mine today from the other eBay seller. It came in a genuine-looking Toyota red & white parts "sleeve". My paperwork is the same as yours...I paid a little more - $115.

I installed it a little while ago, but can't get any voice to tell me turns, etc....Maybe I just don't have the settings set right.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here this is what I received today. Not sure what the factory one looks like but this is working like a charm just plugged it into the SD reader and I had maps!
I got mine today from the other eBay seller. It came in a genuine-looking Toyota red & white parts "sleeve". My paperwork is the same as yours...I paid a little more - $115.

I installed it a little while ago, but can't get any voice to tell me turns, etc....Maybe I just don't have the settings set right.
I had the same issue. Have to go into Nav settings and adjust volume for prompt voice level. Mine was at 2.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ok so swapping the headlights. The left one is easier as there is more room... the hardest part is just getting the little clip back in place. If you aren't familiar with it's placement I would take a photo on your phone as a reference. It's a simple swap otherwise. If u upgrade to xenons You'll have ballasts and they can easily feed out through the rubber gasket. Now the tough part... driver side. The one hand reach around. You can get it but unless you feel like removing some components for easier access, it may take a bit (or hey you may get lucky and it goes right in place). It's really not a scary swap in any sense. The fact that the manual says headlight swaps go to the dealership baffles me!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Ok so swapping the headlights. The left one is easier as there is more room... the hardest part is just getting the little clip back in place. If you aren't familiar with it's placement I would take a photo on your phone as a reference. It's a simple swap otherwise. If u upgrade to xenons You'll have ballasts and they can easily feed out through the rubber gasket. Now the tough part... driver side. The one hand reach around. You can get it but unless you feel like removing some components for easier access, it may take a bit (or hey you may get lucky and it goes right in place). It's really not a scary swap in any sense. The fact that the manual says headlight swaps go to the dealership baffles me!
I installed LED headlights a few weeks ago but returned them and got some LEDs that have a little metal piece that shields the lowbeams to prevent glare. It helps but there's still glare and since the iA's headlights were designed for halogen, light output is subpar. I'm considering ditching LEDs and getting white halogens instead. It won't be as white as LEDs and won't have that sexy instant on effect but unless I pay a couple hundred to a thousand dollars to retrofit the headlights, halogen is the best way to go. It's such a shame because the factory halogens are dim as ****.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I installed LED headlights a few weeks ago but returned them and got some LEDs that have a little metal piece that shields the lowbeams to prevent glare. It helps but there's still glare and since the iA's headlights were designed for halogen, light output is subpar. I'm considering ditching LEDs and getting white halogens instead. It won't be as white as LEDs and won't have that sexy instant on effect but unless I pay a couple hundred to a thousand dollars to retrofit the headlights, halogen is the best way to go. It's such a shame because the factory halogens are dim as ****.
Can you send a pic of the product or a link. That would be great!

I'm looking for a lifetime solution for these and a retrofit for this model I'm tired of running crappy HID kits no matter who's name is on the ballast their all the same.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can you send a pic of the product or a link. That would be great!

I'm looking for a lifetime solution for these and a retrofit for this model I'm tired of running crappy HID kits no matter who's name is on the ballast their all the same.
https://www.amazon.com/Evitek-Headlight-Bulbs-Motorcycles-9003/dp/B017M566T4

These were the ones I got. Someone on the Scion iA FB page installed these and they're working fine for him, but I've had a lot of issues. The first time I got them, one of the bulbs didn't even work. The second time I got them, they worked, until I installed them. The waterproof seal that goes around the light housing is very tight and not too flexible so fitting the plug through the hole on the seal is **** near impossible and when I did get it through, the wire that comes out of the fan is at the very edge of the bulb housing which is very bad because it can get ripped because the waterproof seal is tight. So because of the terrible placement of the wire, one of the bulbs didn't work after I installed them. So I took the bulb that works from the first order and then I had two working LED lights. Glare wasn't as bad as some LEDs I got last month that didn't have shielding but there's still some. It's unavoidable with LEDs in reflective housing. Anyways, I went driving with the new LEDs and I noticed one of the bulbs would flicker occassionally. Also, light output was mediocre, partly because these LEDs are terrible, and partly because our light housings were designed for halogens. I removed them and put back in the factory halogens the next night to test if they would flicker too because it even the halogens flickered, then it's a problem with my car. Fortunately, the halogens didn't flicker so it was definitely something wrong with the bulb. So three different issues on some LED bulbs from a single company. I returned the LEDs today and I have no plans for LEDs atm. I'm just gonna stick with good ol' halogens, maybe even some high quality aftermarkets, preferrably white because I don't like the piss-yellow color on the stock ones. If you want to go for LEDs, you probably shouldn't skimp on the price because cheap LEDs are cheap for a reason. I'd look into the Philips ones, but those are around $240.

Here's a link to the philips: https://www.amazon.com/H4-Philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulbs/dp/B013DHXKK8

·
Registered
188 Posts
I purchased the Philips H4 bulbs for about $200 from Xenon Depot about 8 months ago, no issues at all and definitely worth the expense. They are a fan-less design and very bright, no problems experienced. The site is having a 2% off sale and the bulbs are down to $219 before the promo code, $176 after with free shipping. As stated before, the other LEDs are cheap for a reason! Select without DRL and then you will have to disable DRL in your system settings.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm?CartID=1

·
Registered
95 Posts
I purchased the Philips H4 bulbs for about $200 from Xenon Depot about 8 months ago, no issues at all and definitely worth the expense. They are a fan-less design and very bright, no problems experienced. The site is having a 2% off sale and the bulbs are down to $219 before the promo code, $176 after with free shipping. As stated before, the other LEDs are cheap for a reason! Select without DRL and then you will have to disable DRL in your system settings.

http://www.xenondepot.com/h4-philips-12953BWX2-LED-Bulb-p/12953bwx2.htm?CartID=1
Any chance you could post pics of what they look like at night against a wall?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Thanks for this. Phillips is quality and promo code flash20 helped. $176 shipped

·
Registered
188 Posts
You will need to adjust the lights as they are for RHD models and are by design 'down and to the left', instead of our LHD and 'down and to the right'. There are two knobs on the backside of the housings to move the light, they are easy to find and move and definitely worth the time!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts