Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I've posted this in a different thread but I believe I put it in the wrong spot, so my apologies!

A Strange thing happens to the 2016 Scion IA I just purchased. Once in awhile when I use the signal lever to take a right hand turn, the lever does not lock into place (1 in every 20 turns to the right).

It signals for a few seconds and then shuts off. I have to switch to the opposite position and then move it back to right hand turn or push it much harder upwards and it makes a loud click sound as it settles in the proper position which does not seem normal. It almost feels like something blocks it from staying put in the "right hand" turn position like a piece of plastic. Maybe an auto cancel glitch?

I went ahead and tried to replicate it for the video but since the car is moving it is a bit unsafe as you have to be driving “straight” it seems. A little background on this video, In this particular case I caught it while driving, put on the hazards and pulled over to tape. Any thoughts?

https://youtu.be/hAuDs3w_JFk

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most new cars have 'one touch- 3 blink' turn signals for changing lanes...they blink 3 times when you tap the turn signal lever....

·
Registered
401 Posts
Did you by any chance contact your dealer to see what they have to say about it? Might not be the first time they'll hear of it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So can you not just make sure that you press harder when you use the signal? A tap for lane changes and a press for full on turns.

·
Registered
370 Posts
No. quick tap or all out push wont even do it. I have to wrench it.
That's horrible, only something i'd expect with some 15-20 year old vehicle.

Did you by any chance check out what people have been saying about the mazda 2 sedan? Might be move coverage about this issue under 'mazda 2 sedan' mentions, along with a possible solution.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds like you'll need to ask your dealer. But it does sound like the kind of issue that is easy to fix for a mechanic who knows about the vehicle.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Turned out it was the turn signal lever.... I have to wait until one ships into the dealership....

TURN SIGNAL LEVER HOURS: TECH(S):111083 0.00
CUSTOMER STATES WEN TURNING RIGHT LEVER WILL NOT ENGAGE HE
HAS TO FORCEFULLY PUSH IT UP IN ORDER TO MAKE TURN SIGNAL
INGAGE ONLY HAPPENS WEN TURNING RIGHT CUSTOMER HAS EMAILE A
VIDEO OF PROBLEM AS ITS HAPPENING TURN RIGHT ONCE THE SECOND
TIME WILL NOT WORK
TESTED THE VEHICLE AND DID CONFIRM THE COMPLAINT.INSPECTED
AND FOUND THE PROBLEM TO BE INTERNAL IN THE TURN SIGNAL
SWITCH.ORDERED A NEW SWITCH.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hopefully this is not going to be a widespread issue and just an isolated situation.

Did they say how long it will take to perform the entire service?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just took mine to the dealer for this today

Glad to know I'm not alone in this.

When I went to the dealership today to explain the issue, I felt crazy.

Not so great to hear it's NOT an isolated incident but good to know I'm not the only one, and that the diagnosis above in this thread can be what I ask the dealership to replace.

Glad this forum is here.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts