Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as we all know, the IA only has map lights and no dome light. As I do with all my cars, I get extra bright, white interior led lights (I hate the stock yellow lights). But it seems that interior is still pretty dark and hard to see in. I need to turn on the light on my phone to look for stuff in the back seat or just anywhere from the lower parts of the car if that makes any sense. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy/solve this issue? Am I the only one that thinks this?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Yeah, I had the same problem with the previous generation Mazda 2. I'm sure you can wire in some extra lights for the back seat, or perhaps even install a dome light if you feel ambitious. I'm sure it could be wired in with the existing map lights - you would just have to remove the headliner and be willing to install the light into it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that the dealership will be able tondo something like that?
Yeah, I had the same problem with the previous generation Mazda 2. I'm sure you can wire in some extra lights for the back seat, or perhaps even install a dome light if you feel ambitious. I'm sure it could be wired in with the existing map lights - you would just have to remove the headliner and be willing to install the light into it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I doubt they would. This is getting into modding your car to fit your needs. If a dealership DID do it, it would likely be super expensive. I imagine DIY or having a 3rd party (like an acessories/stereo shop- not talking about BestBuy) would be the least expensive option.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I would recommend contacting an automotive shop that specializes in auto/video/lighting, the might be able to install an OEM style dome light for a good price. Can't be that hard to do it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Some type of light that is battery powered would work well. Something like a night light. Would be very cheap and useful.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Probably easier to wire in lights on the rear doors or package shelf than to take the headliner out/in.
Actually that is a far better idea, not sure what I was thinking lol, headliners can be a big headache.

A solution that makes use of an existing area is getting bright LED's to replace the front bulbs. Some LED's are bright enough that the spread they have will light up a wide area:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I already installed the extra bright LED's after the first week I got it but it's still doesn't clear the rear up. Might have to look into that independent battery light. Does anyone know if it will turn on and off with the other lights? How can I do that if not?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but does anyone know what size to look for interior LED bulbs? I tried buying some like I had in my old Ford Fiesta, and they were not the right size for the trunk, or the right connector type at all for the overhead lights. Thought these were all the same, but I guess not.

·
Registered
235 Posts
If they're not T10 wedge type bulbs, they should be festoon bulbs. The cylindrical ones, you can buy LED boards that have adapters for them. They look like a springy cylindrical base so they fit different sizes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts