Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 Toyota Yaris iA, what size oil drain plug gasket would I need to get from the parts store? I got one that said best fit on a store's website, it was "M14" and it was way too big

·
Registered
5 Posts
Font Circle Auto part Rim Number

I always get 653336 from AutoZone and use the silver metal one for my 2016 Scion iA. Outlined in the image above. This is an M14 pack of gaskets for various drain plugs. Always torque to the TIS spec (26 ft·lbf). Yet to see a drop of oil leaking from it over a handful of oil changes now. And haven't stripped the drain plug threads, either. Not causing any corrosion or indication that the metals are having a chemical reaction with each other. Its only purpose is to get crushed between the oil pan and the head of the drain plug to create a good seal without causing any damage.

If you want to do it properly, I imagine you could buy a pack of drain plug gaskets from any Toyota service center pretty cheap and have the exact thing the manufacturer designed to be there. It's honestly worth doing because the price is very negligible compared to the potential damage.

I wouldn't recommend buying much else from auto zone, aside from oil, filters, drain plug gaskets, wiper fluid, and wiper blades. Wouldn't trust their brake pads or any other parts they sell.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You mean an aluminum crush washer? I have a 2016 and mine doesnt require one. Only some cars require them like on the Corolla, Honda's,...Just reuse the plug and dont put a washer if it didnt have one. Be sure to check for leaks after oil change, and 5-min after oil change, and after driving a lil bit. If you wanna be sure then go to the Parts department at Toyota and they'll tell you and/or show you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You mean an aluminum crush washer? I have a 2016 and mine doesnt require one. Only some cars require them like on the Corolla, Honda's,...Just reuse the plug and dont put a washer if it didnt have one. Be sure to check for leaks after oil change, and 5-min after oil change, and after driving a lil bit. If you wanna be sure then go to the Parts department at Toyota and they'll tell you and/or show you.
Please don't spread misinformation that could destroy someone's vehicle.

Direct from Toyota Information Systems:
Font Parallel Rectangle Diagram Circle

·
Registered
54 Posts
Please don't spread misinformation that could destroy someone's vehicle.

Direct from Toyota Information Systems:
View attachment 5937
Then why doesn't Autozone have this part? Does this mean we have to go directly to Toyota dealership? What's the part #? I just had an oil change a few weeks ago, provided my own parts, what should I do? Pay for another oil change? Is my 2016 different?

Even RockAuto doesn't have it: 2016 SCION IA 1.5L L4 Engine Parts | RockAuto

Autozone: https://www.autozone.com/external-e...tring=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false&model=plug

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
5 Posts
You bought your car used and it had the wrong size battery in it. I really wouldn't trust that the car didn't come with a drain plug gasket because it wasn't supposed to. Clearly the previous owner, dealership, whoever didn't take very good care of it.

Toyota sells the drain plug gaskets. You have vehicle specific products checked and Auto Zone's not making a different drain plug gasket for each car. They have universal packs because they're all mostly the same. Go to Toyota's website and search for drain plug gaskets for your car.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You bought your car used and it had the wrong size battery in it. I really wouldn't trust that the car didn't come with a drain plug gasket because it wasn't supposed to. Clearly the previous owner, dealership, whoever didn't take very good care of it.

Toyota sells the drain plug gaskets. You have vehicle specific products checked and Auto Zone's not making a different drain plug gasket for each car. They have universal packs because they're all mostly the same. Go to Toyota's website and search for drain plug gaskets for your car.
I appreciate you sharing this vital info. But i could not locate this info on the Toyota website so i went to the one you went to. The one you went to techinfo.toyota.com requires paying a subscription for access. I simply saved the pics you provided and will use those for future reference but it's not free to access that info.

It's unfortunate how aftermarket retailers don't have it. I've checked: Merle's (now owned by Napa Auto Parts), RockAuto, Autozone, and Amazon, no luck. Same with the cabin air filter, and computer software, the aftermarket cabin air filters aren't as good as the dealers and the computer software requires a special subscription that pretty much only the dealer has access to. Also the fact that there's no transmission oil dipstick pissed me off. Very different than a 3rd-Gen Honda Fit which has plenty of aftermarket parts and has a transmission oil dipstick despite being built in Mexico.

I got my car from a used car dealer yes, but i got a great deal on it, $8000, paid in full with credit card, purchased before the used car spike,...the battery was only $100. Im more mad at how unfriendly the design of this car is to Right-to-Repair-Yourself is. Because the stealership wants to make more $ off of you.

My neighbor got rid of hers (2017, original owner, IMHO she shouldn't have) when the Toyota dealer couldn't figure-out how to get rid of her Check Engine light. I told her she just had to reset the computer (which are the only situations when you should try that) She traded hers before the used car spike for a Honda crossover instead and she's been happy since, though her Honda uses more gas.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I appreciate you sharing this vital info. But i could not locate this info on the Toyota website so i went to the one you went to. The one you went to techinfo.toyota.com requires paying a subscription for access. I simply saved the pics you provided and will use those for future reference but it's not free to access that info.
Yeah I just paid for the two day or whatever access when I got my car and spent 8 hours printing it all to pdf so I'd have it.

It's unfortunate how aftermarket retailers don't have it. I've checked: Merle's (now owned by Napa Auto Parts), RockAuto, Autozone, and Amazon, no luck. Same with the cabin air filter, and computer software, the aftermarket cabin air filters aren't as good as the dealers and the computer software requires a special subscription that pretty much only the dealer has access to. Also the fact that there's no transmission oil dipstick pissed me off. Very different than a 3rd-Gen Honda Fit which has plenty of aftermarket parts and has a transmission oil dipstick despite being built in Mexico.
You can buy parts from any service center. Although the one near me charges a lot more than websites. I usually buy from Toyota Parts Deal. Any of the Toyota parts websites should be able to find the parts you're looking for when filtering for the car, including cabin air filter, engine air filter, drain plug gasket, etc. I posted the part number for the drain plug gasket earlier but that post is awaiting moderator approval for some reason.

As far as not having a transmission fluid dipstick, I'm pretty sure that's because it's a sealed transmission and the transmission fluid isn't meant to be changed. Although I've heard of people doing it anyway after a certain point.

I got my car from a used car dealer yes, but i got a great deal on it, $8000, paid in full, purchased before the used car spike,...the battery was only $100. Im more mad at how unfriendly the design of this car is to Right-to-Repair-Yourself is. Because the stealership wants to make more $ off of you.

My neighbor got rid of hers (2017, original owner, IMHO she shouldn't have) when the Toyota dealer couldn't figure-out how to get rid of her Check Engine light. I told her she just had to reset the computer (which are the only situations when you should try that) She traded hers before the used car spike for a Honda crossover instead and she's been happy since, though her Honda uses more gas.
I haven't found it too difficult to work on, myself. Spending the $25 or whatever it was for short term access to TIS so I could get the entire service manual was definitely a big help, though. Part of the problem is this is a Mazda with Toyota branding. So Toyota's not going to be as familiar with the vehicle or have as much information, support, etc as they would one of their own. Sometimes you'll probably have to look for information on the SkyActiv engine in it in order to resolve your issues, for example.

·
Registered
54 Posts
As far as not having a transmission fluid dipstick, I'm pretty sure that's because it's a sealed transmission and the transmission fluid isn't meant to be changed. Although I've heard of people doing it anyway after a certain point.
Just like "sealed" batteries they're never completely sealed shut because they have to vent to let the heat out. Heat is an enemy to both transmissions and batteries. Whenever they say "lifetime" they mean for the lifetime of the car's warranty, which is only 36,000 miles. All fluids always have to be changed, because they all eventually wear-out and/or evaporate. E.g. Oil's job is to: lubricate, control heat, carry metal shavings away,...but it eventually looses those abilities after a certain amount of usage. Mother nature is always trying to correct itself.

Even the fluid in your battery, if you get one with the access holes so you can refill it with distilled water, your battery will last much longer if regularly refilled, especially when paired with a maintainer. Costco has 'em the least expensive at $100, they also sell the battery maintainers. i have and used the 4.5amp one made by Deltran for whenever we go on a trip or are not gonna use a particular vehicle(s) for a while. The maintainer was only ~$45 purchased last Christmas. They also offer AGM for an extra $50 if you wanna try that.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts