Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my 2018 iA with manual transmission on Friday, after turning in a VW TDI under the dieselgate scandal.

The couple of mechanics I know swear that Toyotas are just the best cars being made today, by a good margin. The TDI settlement covered about two thirds of the iA cost -- not bad for a nine year old vehicle -- but dropping money on a new car was not in my financial plans for a couple more years, so that limited my budget. I also insist on manual transmission -- I like to drive, not just steer -- so that further narrowed choices.

After some Keystone Cop-ish antics at the dealership, I'm pretty pleased with the car. Looking into modding the display, so if you have any helpful comments on that, I'm all ears.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just picked up my 2018 iA with manual transmission on Friday, after turning in a VW TDI under the dieselgate scandal.

The couple of mechanics I know swear that Toyotas are just the best cars being made today, by a good margin. The TDI settlement covered about two thirds of the iA cost -- not bad for a nine year old vehicle -- but dropping money on a new car was not in my financial plans for a couple more years, so that limited my budget. I also insist on manual transmission -- I like to drive, not just steer -- so that further narrowed choices.

After some Keystone Cop-ish antics at the dealership, I'm pretty pleased with the car. Looking into modding the display, so if you have any helpful comments on that, I'm all ears.
First of all, the most important thing that you must know about the car you just bought is that it's not an actual Toyota like you think, IT'S A MAZDA in Toyota disguise. Nothing in this car is manufactured by Toyota (besides the Toyota badges on the outside and the steering wheel).

It's a great car, and as you know Mazdas are highly reliable and nice cars, but I don't want you to think that you actually bought a Toyota.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah add some sound insulation and new speakers,armrest,brighter headlights maybe lower it,wider tires and rims ,window tint and youll be good to go

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First of all, the most important thing that you must know about the car you just bought is that it's not an actual Toyota like you think, IT'S A MAZDA in Toyota disguise. Nothing in this car is manufactured by Toyota (besides the Toyota badges on the outside and the steering wheel).
Got that. At least one of the mechanics I know was high on Scions along with standard Toyotas; I guess some Scions versions were actually manufactured by Toyota, so maybe I missed the mark on that one. ;-)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Congrats- you just got Mazda 2 sedan! All over the world this particular model is know as mazda 2 sedan or in east asia- mazda demio. nothing toyota there- witch is good thing! I have 2016 scion ia manual- same thing. It is great peace for the bang! You've got mazda 1'5 litter skyactive high compression engine- too bad they mess around with it for american market, but still in my experience premium gasoline does the most justice for the original. another very important part of having this engine happy- full synthetic oil- most expensive one mobil or castrol- this type (mazda skyacrive) of the motor are very sensitive to lubrication! Other then that its fun to drive slow car fast! It has great Mazda pressie stearing and nimble acceleration. Only one out of box defect was suspension- way to soft and cant handle corners at all, so i fixed, but this is not your concern i guess. I do get 32.9 with mine joy rides pushing 5500 rpms- good luck! and you don't have to ask to be welcome- this blog is the joke made by the kids- who put sound systems and stickers on their cars

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah add some sound insulation and new speakers,armrest,brighter headlights maybe lower it,wider tires and rims ,window tint and youll be good to go
I'd be interested in sound insulation. Some people like to hear the road and the engine; then there's me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'd be interested in sound insulation. Some people like to hear the road and the engine; then there's me.
Because mine is a manual transmission, I prefer to hear the engine that way I don't have to rely just on the tach to shift.

Now on the other side, if I had an automatic, I'd definitely prefer better insulation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts