Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:

Really thankful to have found this forum. I'm in the market to buy my first car. As a graduate student, I don't have a ton of money to burn, so I'm looking at primarily used cars, but the Scion iA falls into that price range as well.

For me, I'd primarily be using it to drive around my school town (groceries, errands, and trips about an hour away). Primarily driving myself, and if driving with people, it wouldn't be long trips. I would be driving down to NC, from DE, to visit my girlfriend about every other month, so it would go on longer drives then.

I'm interested in what you guys use the Scion iA, how it holds up on long drives, and perhaps whether it would be more prudent to buy a used car (haha, can you even say that on a forum devoted to this car?). Specifically, I'd be looking at a 2012/13 Mazda3 hatchback as an alternative.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 3 hatch will definitely have more space, so it's your call really whether the features of the iA and the "new car" factor outweigh the fact that it's a tiny car.

The iA is a great car, good on gas, fun to drive, lots of nice features and a nice price. It all really depends on what your needs are whether you should go for a used bigger car or not.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The 3 hatch will definitely have more space, so it's your call really whether the features of the iA and the "new car" factor outweigh the fact that it's a tiny car.

The iA is a great car, good on gas, fun to drive, lots of nice features and a nice price. It all really depends on what your needs are whether you should go for a used bigger car or not.
The largest thing I'd have to carry around at this point would be a set of golf clubs. I don't expect to be carrying that much. Get me from point A to point B, and carry groceries or small amounts of luggage. Definitely not someone who is hauling around a bunch of stuff.

The reason I'd be looking at the hatchback isn't necessarily because I need the space so much as it would be that I might have the option (I also like the aesthetics of a hatchback, but that's minor).

I appreciate your response!

·
Registered
370 Posts
If you want bang for your buck, that used mazda3 will be it. Usually vehicles in their last years of production are the best they get since at that point most issues have been worked out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want bang for your buck, that used mazda3 will be it. Usually vehicles in their last years of production are the best they get since at that point most issues have been worked out.
I didn't think about that. Thanks. I think the thing I'm worried about is its previous driving history. But will a CPO disspell that?

Also, I'm also just loving what I'm seeing about the iA, and I really want to try it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The price you would pay for a 2016 Scion IA(Mazda 2) $17,500 is what I paid for the automatic is about the same you would pay for a used car a few years old. The technology alone is worth it. Back up camera, Forward Collision, Electronic Stability Control(ESC), etc. Excellent gas mileage, handling, etc

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The price you would pay for a 2016 Scion IA(Mazda 2) $17,500 is what I paid for the automatic is about the same you would pay for a used car a few years old. The technology alone is worth it. Back up camera, Forward Collision, Electronic Stability Control(ESC), etc. Excellent gas mileage, handling, etc
Yeah! I would actually be looking to get a manual as it were, so it would be even cheaper! But, that's sort of what I'm looking at right now. Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just went through this mental debate myself when my 2007 Chevy Trailblazer started to need costly repairs in November. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a used vehicle but for what I paid for my iA, new was definitely the way to go.

Back up cam, decent sound system, forward collision tech...it was all worth it compared to the used cars available at the same price. The peace of mind of having a vehicle that I am not worried about the history of is what ultimately swayed my decision.

I am about to roll over 5,000 miles and still no regrets. I love my little car.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went through this mental debate myself when my 2007 Chevy Trailblazer started to need costly repairs in November. I toyed with the idea of purchasing a used vehicle but for what I paid for my iA, new was definitely the way to go.

Back up cam, decent sound system, forward collision tech...it was all worth it compared to the used cars available at the same price. The peace of mind of having a vehicle that I am not worried about the history of is what ultimately swayed my decision.

I am about to roll over 5,000 miles and still no regrets. I love my little car.
I appreciate the insight. I feel like I'm leaning that way for the reasons that you listed -- in particular being able to know the history.

You don't feel like you're missing out on anything compared to a used model that might be a little bit bigger and more powerful?

·
Registered
143 Posts
For me the convenience of buying new was the lack of pressure to buy "this car right here." When you're shopping used there's always the chance that someone could buy a car you're interested in, and sales folks will use that to their advantage.

When you're buying new, if a dealer sells the car you want you can always buy one from another dealer, or order one. No pressure to "buy it before someone else does".

You can also use it to shop around: call all the dealers in the area to get their out the door price on the same car/trim package. Make them outbid each other and go with the low price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You can also use it to shop around: call all the dealers in the area to get their out the door price on the same car/trim package. Make them outbid each other and go with the low price.
But with Scion's it's just one base price right?

·
Registered
143 Posts
One trim level on this car, yes, I was just talking I generalities.

But don't think for a second that scion "pure price" means you'll get the same price from every dealer. I talked to the three within reasonable driving distance of me and got three different prices.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
One trim level on this car, yes, I was just talking I generalities.

But don't think for a second that scion "pure price" means you'll get the same price from every dealer. I talked to the three within reasonable driving distance of me and got three different prices.
How can they do that? Do you have to talk them "down" to the pure price?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was in a similar situation- just graduated college and needed an inexpensive car that was either CPO or new. I looked at cars such as the Chevrolet Sonic, Chevrolet Cruze, Ford Focus, and Nissan Versa. Scion was my last stop and after sitting in it for the first 15 seconds, I fell in love. :laugh:

All of the other cars seemed pretty decent, but it was all of the iA's features that really won me over. Push-to-start, iPad-like screen with controls similar to BMW's iDrive, Bluetooth, 2 USBs, backup camera, etc, etc. All standard! Not only that, the iA is an IIHS Top Safety Pick, has a pre-collision braking feature, and 33/42 MPG! Also, I found the the interior and the exterior to be very appealing.

Another plus is the standard 2 years/25k of covered maintenance and 24/7 roadside assistance. You can even extend it up to 5 years/75k, I believe.

Needless to say, I ended up going with the iA. Good luck with deciding!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two weeks ago I was facing repair bills on my 2009 Smartfortwo that far outstripped the car's value. I happened onto the Toyota lot and found myself browsing the new Scions. When I saw the Abyss iA with standard transmission at less than 17k I was intrigued. When I sat inside I noticed it had all the features I might be looking for. I took immediately to the entertainment system and before the sales guy had returned after copying my insurance and DL for the test drive I had connected my iPhone. And when I drove it I became very interested: easy to shift, very solid feel for a fairly light vehicle and much less road noise than I had anticipated! I pretty much decided on the spot it was the car that I was looking for.

Later I learned more about the safety features and it's top rating for safety.

You cannot beat 0% or .9% financing and so 10 hours later it was mine! I have fallen in love with it since then and look forward every chance I get to drive it. New cars tend to offer better financing deals, which - in my case - allowed me to splurge on the Platinum (8 yr/100k) extended warranty and still have a pretty low monthly payment. My company will pay for routine maintenance (which won't cost me anything for two years anyhow) so I am quite pleased to reduce my annual car costs with a top-in-class comfortable new car that should last me for many years.

I have found the car equally comfortable in city as well as longer highway drives.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Two weeks ago I was facing repair bills on my 2009 Smartfortwo that far outstripped the car's value. I happened onto the Toyota lot and found myself browsing the new Scions. When I saw the Abyss iA with standard transmission at less than 17k I was intrigued. When I sat inside I noticed it had all the features I might be looking for. I took immediately to the entertainment system and before the sales guy had returned after copying my insurance and DL for the test drive I had connected my iPhone. And when I drove it I became very interested: easy to shift, very solid feel for a fairly light vehicle and much less road noise than I had anticipated! I pretty much decided on the spot it was the car that I was looking for.

Later I learned more about the safety features and it's top rating for safety.

You cannot beat 0% or .9% financing and so 10 hours later it was mine! I have fallen in love with it since then and look forward every chance I get to drive it. New cars tend to offer better financing deals, which - in my case - allowed me to splurge on the Platinum (8 yr/100k) extended warranty and still have a pretty low monthly payment. My company will pay for routine maintenance (which won't cost me anything for two years anyhow) so I am quite pleased to reduce my annual car costs with a top-in-class comfortable new car that should last me for many years.

I have found the car equally comfortable in city as well as longer highway drives.
I really appreciate the reply. I recognize that this is a forum based around the car, but all of your guys' reviews (Along with car reviewers) are making me feel good about this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts