Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys I just filled my first tank after getting the car a few days ago. Hand calculated 41.7 mpg. So I dive 68+ miles a day, and I would say 80% highway and 20 city. There is a 10 mile stretch where it is all hills. And my average speed on the highway is around 65-75 mph. I have to say that I am highly impressed with the number I got on the first tank.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Sounds great and I think that fuel efficiency is a big appeal for the iA. Its for people who want to save money and using less fuel is great for that.

·
Registered
401 Posts
How many miles do you have on it already?

to my knowledge it takes cars some time during the initial break in before they start to stabilize MPG numbers, i think it's after a few thousand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have around 350 miles on the car since picking it up last Thursday. I always fill my car on the weekends. I'll post the new results this weekend again when I fill up.

·
Registered
422 Posts
How many miles do you have on it already?

to my knowledge it takes cars some time during the initial break in before they start to stabilize MPG numbers, i think it's after a few thousand.
Is there a standard distance that a car generally travels before the break-in period is over?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I can imagine that changes from vehicle to vehicle, can't be a specific number but some thing like after a few thousand you monitor it for changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just got my first fill-up, here's another data point:

Automatic

90% city / 10% highway

36.06 MPG hand calculated

The car was reading 32.5 MPG average, so it was a huge surprise to get 36! This includes around 20 miles driving on the spare due to a flat, and another 20 miles of spirited mountain roads. I'm very happy, this is more than double the efficiency of my last car.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The Scion iA may sacrifice a bit of power for good mileage but it's worth it if you can get 36mpg on a spare tire.
How comes there's such a big difference between Tim and Jay's hand calculations?

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a feeling that difference might be due in part to the engine not being fully broken in as yet since at times that can be the case.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just filled my first time. $16.40 to fill from a quarter of a tank. I have to estimate the mileage because I thought my car had 85 miles on it when I got it, but the paperwork says 100 miles. I had 2 70 mile trips, but the rest is city driving.

Overall, looks like 38.1mpg (hand calculated), which is spot on with my digital gauge. Very impressive!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This car gets what it claims and better. So many new cars over rate there milage claims. For example my 2013 Civic claimed 38 highway, best I ever got was 35. Had a 2015 Camry claimed 35 highway, best was 32. Plus the iA drives way better.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here is my MPG results for first 3 tanks filled up with around a quarter tank left on each.

1. My girlfriend driving to work, about 14 miles trip each way. 10 miles 55mph and the rest can be stop and go. And 112 miles of mixed driving trip probably 30% 65mph and 70% 45mph with hills.
393 miles / 8.676G = 45.28 hand calculated, car said 45.6.

2. Took a trip down the Washington state coast on the 101 from Mount Vernon WA to Seaside Oregon. Alot of hills and curvy roads with average speed of 45-55mph.
367.4 miles / 8.259G = 44.48 hand calculated. car said 45.4.

3. drove from Lincoln City OR to Lynden WA mostly via I-5. Mostly 60-70mph highway cruise control is awesome.
423.2 miles / 9.045G = 46.79 hand calculated

This was driving with the fuel economy in mind so not punching the gas at all. Very satisfied with the mid 40's!!!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
MPG numbers are impressive and thankfully it doesn't seem like there was a need to wait for the engine to break in before seeing good numbers.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Are you guys practicing any specific fuel saving methods through driving habits to help improve your MPG figure any more?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Are you guys practicing any specific fuel saving methods through driving habits to help improve your MPG figure any more?
I'm not. I'm driving it just like I want to drive it - which is not very conservatively. My last tank was 37.1mpg which was my normal commute including over an hour in a traffic jam on day (yay Atlanta).

This tank, 110 miles in, I'm at 38.4 mpg avg so far. Once it warms up, this car gets excellent mpg!

1 - 20 of 141 Posts