Scion IA Forum banner
101 - 120 of 141 Posts

· Registered
204 Posts
I think the a/c changes the gas mileage a lot too... I didn't use my a/c at all the last tank (finally getting nice out, windows open) and I got 39.1 mpg and I was driving faster than normal. I thought that having the windows open would bring down the mpg more than the a/c does, but maybe it doesn't. I think I'll try going without a/c for a few more tanks...

· Registered
37 Posts
I think the a/c changes the gas mileage a lot too... I didn't use my a/c at all the last tank (finally getting nice out, windows open) and I got 39.1 mpg and I was driving faster than normal. I thought that having the windows open would bring down the mpg more than the a/c does, but maybe it doesn't. I think I'll try going without a/c for a few more tanks...
Just be mindful the humidity if applicable and outside dust and micro particles will dirty and weaken your headliner.

· Registered
204 Posts
Just be mindful the humidity if applicable and outside dust and micro particles will dirty and weaken your headliner.
Eh, I'm not keeping the car long enough to worry about that. That's something the next owner can deal with if it falls down after the warranty is up.

· Registered
204 Posts
Eh, I'm not keeping the car long enough to worry about that. That's something the next owner can deal with if it falls down after the warranty is up.
That's why I always aim to keep a car for a max of 4 years, enough to get the best out of it and not have to suffer through all the high mileage issues that come up.
4 years?! I'm lucky to keep something 4 months ??? I've never hit 9 months with a car, but I'm hoping a year for this one... I don't plan on hitting 100k but I might if I keep it as an extra car being that my warranty is 200k, all depends on if I can afford a truck without trading this in.

· Registered
204 Posts
You won't get anything for trade in maybe 4500 with 100k probably less.scion has bad resale that's why I'm glad they're switching to the Toyota badge. Hyundai/Kia resale is worse thouh
Yeah, I know. I didn't find out until after I bought the car how bad the resale will be. I'll probably end up with a truck next, and I don't think I'll buy new again either. I'm thinking a low mileage, accident free, late model Ram or Silverado with a V8... I'm not a fan of the car or any newer cars for that matter, and I can see why new cars don't hold their value, they're not made how they were even 10 or 15 years ago... sure they'll run longer, but their paint isn't as good, the interiors wear quickly, electronic issues pop up more and more, etc... the interior in my 94' Camaro Z28 Convertible had less wear on the interior at 124k than my scion does at like 9k or whatever I'm at now. I don't plan on another Asian car unless I can get into a high end Lexus (RC F, GS F, stuff like that), I'll stay with American trucks and German cars

· Registered
342 Posts
You won't get anything for trade in maybe 4500 with 100k probably less.scion has bad resale that's why I'm glad they're switching to the Toyota badge. Hyundai/Kia resale is worse thouh
Yeah, I know. I didn't find out until after I bought the car how bad the resale will be. I'll probably end up with a truck next, and I don't think I'll buy new again either. I'm thinking a low mileage, accident free, late model Ram or Silverado with a V8... I'm not a fan of the car or any newer cars for that matter, and I can see why new cars don't hold their value, they're not made how they were even 10 or 15 years ago... sure they'll run longer, but their paint isn't as good, the interiors wear quickly, electronic issues pop up more and more, etc... the interior in my 94' Camaro Z28 Convertible had less wear on the interior at 124k than my scion does at like 9k or whatever I'm at now. I don't plan on another Asian car unless I can get into a high end Lexus (RC F, GS F, stuff like that), I'll stay with American trucks and German cars
Ok only ones I've seen without major problems after 100k are Mercedes and sometimes and I mean sometimes lol are vw. Lexuses usually last forever. I used to live in nj ' everyone drove luxury cars up there

· Registered
204 Posts
Ok only ones I've seen without major problems after 100k are Mercedes and sometimes and I mean sometimes lol are vw. Lexuses usually last forever. I used to live in nj ' everyone drove luxury cars up there
My entire family is from NJ! I love it up there, wish we stayed instead of moving down here. But my aunt has had many high mileage German cars that were problem free, her '97 Audi A4 Quattro had 232k miles when she gave it to her son and he took it through the woods and hit something, blowing the radiator, and he scrapped it instead of fixing it, but it was original, right down to the clutch, with the exception of a few electrical relays and a fan. Her 02 BMW 325xi has around 190k on it right now, and it currently needs a MAF sensor, but the only thing she's fixed since she got it (30k?) was a valve cover gasket. Mercedes will usually last a long time, especially the diesels, I've seen some over 250k with no major issues, and the diesels at 700k with no issues. Audi has much better gas engines than Mercedes, the non-turbo ones will last 300k without major issues as long as they're stick (the automatics tend to give out in the mid-100's). BMW has some of the best gasoline engines around, the 2.5 straight six is known to pass 500k without many issues, and hasn't had many changes since the 90's. A big problem with the German cars is their parts are more expensive, they will rust in areas that get snow (which is why you won't see many with high mileage up north), and they will not last if you don't maintain them. German cars are fine tuned vehicles that require maintenance, and unlike a lot of American and Japanese vehicles, skipping the maintenance or going longer than you should without doing it can and most likely will cause damage to the vehicle. I would personally never buy a Volkswagen except the Golf R (and I wouldn't keep that long, just till the warranty is up), because they're not as reliable and they're very hard to work on even compared to other German vehicles.

· Registered
342 Posts
Yeah vw and Audi porsche are the same motor family essentially. But we all drive scions now and as long as this 12k car lasts me until 200k I'm good my Hondas and Acuras usually go to 300k without a hiccup . This is my first jap outside of honda. I like German cars and American if it has a v8. I'm in the process log restoring a 91 911 turbo and finish my old daily driver el camino. Not enough time

· Registered
204 Posts
Yeah vw and Audi porsche are the same motor family essentially. But we all drive scions now and as long as this 12k car lasts me until 200k I'm good my Hondas and Acuras usually go to 300k without a hiccup . This is my first jap outside of honda. I like German cars and American if it has a v8. I'm in the process log restoring a 91 911 turbo and finish my old daily driver el camino. Not enough time
I've been wanting to get something else, I was planning on February-April and if I had to I would trade this in, but I just found a 2001 BMW 330Ci convertible with 42k miles, a SMG transmission, and a new top for $1,300... it needs new leather, they left the top down in an open garage and a cat got in and ripped the back seats to shreds and the front seats are cracked from not being taken care of properly (it shocks my how many people don't know to do leather conditioning!), but the car has been maintained at the dealership since new by the original owners, and the paint is still in good shape being that it was garage kept. I think I'm going to buy it and fix it up in my spare time to have some fun with it on the weekends. I know the SMG has its issues, but once they go bad you can rebuild them and build them to last a lot longer... plus it'd be a good compromise, I would like something my grandfather could drive (he's considering moving in with us down here, and can't drive stick, and I would like to have a vehicle for him to drive if needed) but I would still like something fun. The regular automatics are kinda sucky in manual mode, and my grandfather can't operate a clutch or take his hand off the wheel long enough to shift, but he's fine with paddle shifters, and the SMG is meant to be shifted as a clutchless manual transmission (kinda like on a motorcycle) but also has an automatic mode. Personally I've owned a few Japanese cars though, I've had 2 toyotas 2 hondas and a Mazda before this, one of the toyotas was great (2001 Camry I4 with 1.24 million miles) and the other sucked (hybrid, 2 batteries before it caught fire at 102k)... both my civic and accord sucked as far as reliability but were very fun to drive (they were both slammed and stick, but died around 150k)... and my Mazda was fun for an automatic but also felt pretty outdated (2010 with manual locks, basic am/fm/cd radio, etc). My American cars were good though, my LTD lasted 107k before I sold it, my Camaro was amazing until the trans blew (cherry red 94' Z28 Convertible, black top with black/red leather), my F150's lasted longer than I wanted them to (the 300 straight 6 was a great motor, paired with a C4 and it'd never give you a problem), and the expedition I shared with my father for a while is at 490k with him still driving it every day, all original with a 5.4 triton... my Buick was pretty good too, the a/c just broke a lot...

· Registered
204 Posts
Look for a older m3 or m5 they're pretty cheap. Id go for a ls1 trans am or camaro though would be the best bang for your buck
I looked into the ls1 camaro but they're all either stick or automatic, and I want a shiftable automatic so I can have fun with it and my grandfather can still drive it... and the only M3s I could find under $20k are high mileage and either need work or have been beat to ****... the M5's are out of the question because they're all manual and while that'd be great for me my grandfather couldn't drive one. I didn't end up getting the bimmer though, I need a truck now (probably a cummins) because I need 4x4 or AWD with all the dirt roads around here flooding and turning to mud (I got stuck yesterday lol) plus it'd be nice to be able to haul a trailer again

· Registered
330 Posts
I looked into the ls1 camaro but they're all either stick or automatic, and I want a shiftable automatic so I can have fun with it and my grandfather can still drive it... and the only M3s I could find under $20k are high mileage and either need work or have been beat to ****... the M5's are out of the question because they're all manual and while that'd be great for me my grandfather couldn't drive one. I didn't end up getting the bimmer though, I need a truck now (probably a cummins) because I need 4x4 or AWD with all the dirt roads around here flooding and turning to mud (I got stuck yesterday lol) plus it'd be nice to be able to haul a trailer again
Stang

101 - 120 of 141 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.