Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone notice difference between using Regular vs Supreme fuel?
I have used regular as my first fill up but now I use Supreme.
I know the IA calls for regular. Also does anyone know what the fuel millage should be after fill up. When I fill up it shows 295 until empty. I force more fuel to obtain 300 until empty i have also was able to get 305. Thank you.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I usually see about 340 miles of range after a fill up. My guess is it uses your current average gas mileage to do the calculation.

·
Registered
98 Posts
After filling up I see the range at 341 miles same as MM. I generally get 415/425 miles on a tank of mostly back road driving. You do not need premium gas, most cars that are not required to use Premium will often get better gas mileage by a few mpg. 30 years ago the difference between Reg/Premium per gallon was about 4 to 5 cents and it did not pay off then ? .... Today we are seeing 15 or 20 or more cents per gallon. To each their own but it is not worth it IMO... there would be no way to recover the cost of slightly better performance and a few mpg..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So in your opinions its not worth the cost of using Supreme fuel even though today's prices its about a $6.00 difference in price after fill up. Are you using regular fuel to get 340 miles until empty?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's odd everyone else is getting above 300 miles until empty after a fill up. I am confused. I never let it run empty. Filled up yesterday with supreme fuel gave me 300 miles until empty.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's odd everyone else is getting above 300 miles until empty after a fill up. I am confused. I never let it run empty. Filled up yesterday with supreme fuel gave me 300 miles until empty.
So when I fill up it always indicates 341 miles until empty. It does seem odd that owners expected distance remaining on the computer are not the same? I am filling up with ~10 miles remaining according to the computer getting ~400 miles at this point it calculates to ~43 mpg. Using only 9.3 gal to fill up there is still 2 gal left in the tank. So to run my vehicle empty of a full tank of gas, I could drive ~ 485 Miles;)

I can surmise that when we fill up the distance remaining to drive does not include the ~ 2 gal. left in the tank as a precautionary measure which adds significant mileage to our fuel miser cars that the computer does calculate for:)

To you other Post You certainly can run the numbers yourself all it requires is one tank of premium. $6.00 difference is pretty steep. I am quite certain it will be obvious, Not worth the extra $

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm assuming your range is calculated based off of your average MPG. I have a pretty high average, as I live in the country and drive mostly on county highways. I usually see anywhere between 401 - 403 miles for my range.

I haven't run anything in my car apart from regular. Certain engines are intended to run on higher octane gas due to certain factors (stroke, bore, etc). I just run my car on regular per the owner's manual, which states 87 as the minimum. For that reason I can't anticipate any significant benefits as opposed to higher octane.

Considering that we can fill up from 1/4 tank for $15 - $16, I might just splurge and fill up with 91 next time just for kicks. Who knows what will happen?

·
Registered
98 Posts
I'm assuming your range is calculated based off of your average MPG. I have a pretty high average, as I live in the country and drive mostly on county highways. I usually see anywhere between 401 - 403 miles for my range.

I haven't run anything in my car apart from regular. Certain engines are intended to run on higher octane gas due to certain factors (stroke, bore, etc). I just run my car on regular per the owner's manual, which states 87 as the minimum. For that reason I can't anticipate any significant benefits as opposed to higher octane.

Considering that we can fill up from 1/4 tank for $15 - $16, I might just splurge and fill up with 91 next time just for kicks. Who knows what will happen?
So Guys, I also have a very high mpg as phozzy. Last time I filled up the remaining miles was at 421. Interesting enough I have only filled up twice now in nearly 3 months and I believe the computer stores the history and adjusts as necessary. Right now it indicates that I am getting 46.7 mpg. If it is consistent to the real calculations from previous, I am on track for mpg in the 45 range

·
Registered
39 Posts
What is your real calculated mpg? I am guessing it is significantly less than phozzy and I are getting. This may be why it indicates a lower value.
I'm not sure. I think I have gotten 380 a couple times, but then again it may have been 280. I live in the countryside in Connecticut, and with 11.6 gallons in a tank, 280/11.6 would mean 24.1 MPG, versus 380/11.6 32.8 MPG.

So if it's really 380 the MPG should be fine, but otherwise something is wrong.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just use the factory suggested fuel and you'll be fine. No point in paying more for premium fuel when it doesn't make much of a difference.

Yep.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I drive my car very "spirited". Not aggressive driving, but having lots of fun. Fill ups usually bring my "range" to about 385 on regular fuel.

I was previously driving mostly highway to work (17 miles at 75MPH) at an average of 38.2 MPG. However, I am now only driving 3 miles to work at about 45MPH and my car's current reading is 37.7. Have not seen any change in my range at fill-ups.

I filled 2 tanks in a row with premium fuel to see if there is any difference (I would notice a difference in the past when owning SUVs) but saw absolutely no improvement to justify the extra couple of cents.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Your new gas mpg does not surprize me. I watch the mpg on a regular basis. It is very apparent that the first few miles are significantly lower mpg due to warming up and the fuel adjustments being made by the computer. Many of you perhaps have seen this, when traveling a few miles mpg is very low until we have about 6~7 miles on the trip. If we stop for a short time and return, mpg is through the roof as the vehicle is warmed up. Often I will leave the house for a 5 miles trip to the store, avg mpg might be 38. Jump back in the car after 20 minutes shopping and the same return trip home will be 53 mpg as the engine is warmed up and fuel being delivered more efficiently.

ClydeFrog, in your case the few miles you drive to and from to work seems to be in the fuel adjustment period thus lower mpg. Drive further to work(-:

·
Registered
330 Posts
Your new gas mpg does not surprize me. I watch the mpg on a regular basis. It is very apparent that the first few miles are significantly lower mpg due to warming up and the fuel adjustments being made by the computer. Many of you perhaps have seen this, when traveling a few miles mpg is very low until we have about 6~7 miles on the trip. If we stop for a short time and return, mpg is through the roof as the vehicle is warmed up. Often I will leave the house for a 5 miles trip to the store, avg mpg might be 38. Jump back in the car after 20 minutes shopping and the same return trip home will be 53 mpg as the engine is warmed up and fuel being delivered more efficiently.

ClydeFrog, in your case the few miles you drive to and from to work seems to be in the fuel adjustment period thus lower mpg. Drive further to work(-:
when i ride my bike, i'm most efficient during the start and end of the trip not the middle. Just like my long distance jogs.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I've experienced the same. I am definitely elated with even my "slightly lower" MPGs! My last vehicle gulped gas - 16 MPG!

I literally cannot remember when it was that I last filled my Scion's tank and I still have 130 miles on the Range estimate.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've experienced the same. I am definitely elated with even my "slightly lower" MPGs! My last vehicle gulped gas - 16 MPG!

I literally cannot remember when it was that I last filled my Scion's tank and I still have 130 miles on the Range estimate.
ClydeFrog, My fuel economy must be near peak if not there already. My fuel mpg is now at 45.3 when calculated. I feel this is near the best I can do. VERY HAPPY! However with the warmer temps the fuel economy will increase some from here, moving into the summer months, the AC should bring it back down a bit as the AC will be engaged...

Filled the tank yesterday and my new range is 437 miles. Its a sick vehicle for fuel economy, and its power is way more than what is needed IMHO. ;)

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for testing out the premium fuel theory ClydeFrog. I've always read about it but never really put it to the test but now we have real world numbers from you.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts