Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
http://www.motortrend.com/news/breaking-toyota-gives-scion-brand-the-axe/

Uh-oh. Well, looks like those of us with a 2016 Scion iA might be the only year (at least as a Scion...). I was kind of wondering what they were gonna do with the brand, but never expected this. Wow.
I just read this -- what do you think this means for buying an iA this year? Is this a situation where iA prices might go down to get rid of stock? Or should I wait until an iA is rebadged as a Toyota? Interesting...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Official press release: http://pressroom.scion.com/releases/scion+transition+toyota.htm

Looks like the iA, iM, and FR-S will become Toyotas. This is good news for us!

Now whether I would buy a Scion or wait for Toyota? That's up to you, but I would bet there will be some good deals to move Scions and they include 24k mile maintenance, and not sure the Toyota version will...

I imagine if you are only planning on keeping the car for a year or so, the resale value will be better on the Toyota version, unless the mess up the car by removing options etc. to get the price lower (out of Corolla territory). But if you keep the car for a few years, I imagine there won't be much difference.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Official press release: http://pressroom.scion.com/releases/scion+transition+toyota.htm

Looks like the iA, iM, and FR-S will become Toyotas. This is good news for us!

Now whether I would buy a Scion or wait for Toyota? That's up to you, but I would bet there will be some good deals to move Scions and they include 24k mile maintenance, and not sure the Toyota version will...

I imagine if you are only planning on keeping the car for a year or so, the resale value will be better on the Toyota version, unless the mess up the car by removing options etc. to get the price lower (out of Corolla territory). But if you keep the car for a few years, I imagine there won't be much difference.
Oh I didn't think about the warranty going away with Toyota. I plan on keeping the car for a long time, so if I can err on the side of what you just mentioned that would be great.

Realistically, because I'm ignorant of that, does this mean they're stopping the production of the Scion iA immediately, or will they continue to make them up until August? In short: should I buy pretty quickly, or do I still have sometime (was going to wait until March or April).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bet they rebadge the iA as a Yaris. So, if you don't want your iA to be a Yaris better buy one this model year!

·
Registered
143 Posts
My guess is no change until next summer, at which point scions might start to drop in price as dealers try to get rid of them.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The models themselves are fine. Toyota is keeping all of them. it's just the Scion brand itself that wasn't very well defined and wasn't adding anything. Toyota holds a lot more water.

·
Registered
97 Posts
At one time I really wanted a Scion tC, but that desire went away about when I saw the remodeled Mitsubishi Lancer GTS at the end of 2006. Bought a '08 Lancer GTS in March of 2007.

·
Registered
370 Posts
At one time I really wanted a Scion tC, but that desire went away about when I saw the remodeled Mitsubishi Lancer GTS at the end of 2006. Bought a '08 Lancer GTS in March of 2007.
I was close to buying one, then the FR-S came out, drive the FR-S and didn't like it... some reviews were consistent with my disappointments... now i'm just waiting for that new compact sports car Toyota is coming out with. For now I just need a commuter...hence why i'm here.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts