Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Later this year when the $16,495 2016 Scion iA reaches dealer floors it will include collision avoidance as standard equipment.

Scion VP Doug Murtha said at a recent press conference “We looked at that feature, and said we’re in,” he believes the feature has value that resonates with the target demographic.

The system is a carry over from Mazda, its the same Conti Temic infrared radar technology used on the Mazda 2 and CX-3 crossover. The system scans the road ahead, albeit at speeds below 18 mph (28 kmh), if it "sees" and object in the iA's path and the driver hasn't responded by hitting the brakes it will first chime at you, then flash at you before finally taking charge and applying the brakes if you haven't already.

You'll get a chance to try it for yourself come September 1st when the initial batch of iA's are expected at dealerships.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had no clue this was available! I've always wondered why other scions didn't make use of Toyotas technology. that FRS in OP looks like it sure could of used some collision avoidance ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I had no clue this was available! I've always wondered why other scions didn't make use of Toyotas technology. that FRS in OP looks like it sure could of used some collision avoidance ;)
The key takeaway here is 'demographic'

If it wasn't for the iA's demographic, this feature wouldn't be nearly important for Scion as it is currently.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So glad this is available standard. Safety features like this save lives, and its great that this is in a more economical vehicle like the iA. Everyone deserves to be safe, whether you drive a Scion iA or a luxury BMW.

·
Registered
31 Posts
It's a low speed collision system, I don't think any lives are in danger below 18 mph. It'll jerk you for sure, but it won't hurt the passengers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Several reviews state that the primary purpose of this system is to mitigate the damage caused by minor collisions, not total prevention. Given that, I would be very cautious of risking my new iA to test the effectiveness of the system. If it does not have multiple false warnings, the addition of a collision avoidance system should be good for the new owners.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Oh I would not test it out. I remember seeing a video of these guys testing a system like this in a Volvo. Now it might have been that the system wasn't turned on or perhaps even installed, but basically the guy just drove the car into people. Point is, I'm not gonna test it out on people.

The safety I was concerned about was more pedestrian-centred instead of passenger-centred. Whether its savings lives, or preventing some damage to your car, its all worthwhile.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Several reviews state that the primary purpose of this system is to mitigate the damage caused by minor collisions, not total prevention. Given that, I would be very cautious of risking my new iA to test the effectiveness of the system. If it does not have multiple false warnings, the addition of a collision avoidance system should be good for the new owners.
Basically act as if it isn't even in the vehicle to begin with, that's the best way to go about it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Oh I would not test it out. I remember seeing a video of these guys testing a system like this in a Volvo. Now it might have been that the system wasn't turned on or perhaps even installed, but basically the guy just drove the car into people. Point is, I'm not gonna test it out on people.

The safety I was concerned about was more pedestrian-centred instead of passenger-centred. Whether its savings lives, or preventing some damage to your car, its all worthwhile.
If it actually works on pedestrians, then kudos! I was not aware that the sensors worked on people.

·
Registered
164 Posts
The key takeaway here is 'demographic'

If it wasn't for the iA's demographic, this feature wouldn't be nearly important for Scion as it is currently.
The key takeaway is 'Mazda'

If it wasn't for the iA being a Mazda 2, this feature wouldn't be included in the current kit.

If it was so important to the demo the iM and FRS would both have it...

·
Registered
422 Posts
It seems like Toyota would also have a system to prevent collisions like this in its vehicles. It just seems like this type of technology should be in most vehicles at this point. It protects not only the people in the car, but also the people walking down the street or driving in the other cars on the road.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Now they have more of an obligation to include it with more and more car makers using the technology, helps them to stay relevant, which makes me wonder to what other vehicles will the tech roll out and when.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's hard to justify not putting it in other cars when they have put it in a car like the Scion iA. Not many cars that are down market from the iA.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's hard to justify not putting it in other cars when they have put it in a car like the Scion iA. Not many cars that are down market from the iA.
yea but scion didn't put anything in there. I think you seem to be missing that ;)

·
Registered
370 Posts
yea but scion didn't put anything in there. I think you seem to be missing that ;)
Exactly. It came with what got handed down to them, they just had to rebrand it and make it seem as if it was actually from them. But at least we're getting it in this segment of all segments.

·
Registered
62 Posts
It seems like the automotive companies are all moving towards better safety systems. Even Honda is following this trend with their sensing system.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm not missing that. I think that regardless of if it came directly from Scion or it comes from Mazda, its in a Scion product now and they have to stand by that product and own it. Toyota has the technology, so I don't really find that a very compelling argument.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm just wondering how this can be tested by the average person at the dealership. Unless we start driving a bit too close to the wall for comfort, how will we know if the avoidance system works or how it's supposed to feel when it takes affect?

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm just wondering how this can be tested by the average person at the dealership. Unless we start driving a bit too close to the wall for comfort, how will we know if the avoidance system works or how it's supposed to feel when it takes affect?
You can try to request that they demonstrate it for you. It can be easy, turning over a trash can and driving into it should be doable or just about any other objects that can be used for that purpose:

what ever you do, don't do this:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts