Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far Scion hooked up with Cam'ron, Eddie Huang, DJ PForreal, DJ Prince Paul and Vince Staples for some promotional video, seen here are some behind the scenes coverage:

·
Registered
422 Posts
This makes sense with targeting younger folks. Love Eddie on his Vice show "Off the Boat". I wonder if they will do commercials or if all thepromotions will be things like YouTube, live events and other non-traditional media.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Cam'ron must of fallen on hard times... Do these guys not consider what associating with brands do for their brands? Not for anything, but being associated with Scion doesn't make Cam'ron anymore badass...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Never heard of him. I don't see this as being that bad of a relationship to have though.

Raphael Nadal is sponsored by Kia and everyone likes him. It's also not like this is the only brand relationship these guys have. I don't think any less of them.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haven't heard much about Cam'ron so maybe he really is desperate. Is he doing anything these days?
I think he owns a couple waffle houses and I think he was on tour for a bit. So while he isn't nearly as active as he used to in the music industry, seems like momentum is kept elsewhere, diversified.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Never heard of him. I don't see this as being that bad of a relationship to have though.

Raphael Nadal is sponsored by Kia and everyone likes him. It's also not like this is the only brand relationship these guys have. I don't think any less of them.
Rafa is also a tennis player, who's image is dependant on his play...these guys who image is that gangster life, that baller life... Now they finna tell me baller life = scion? GTFO...

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rafa is also a tennis player, who's image is dependant on his play...these guys who image is that gangster life, that baller life... Now they finna tell me baller life = scion? GTFO...
I guess I see what you are saying. I imagine that if the money is good enough, these guys would endorse anything.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I guess the way Scion sees it is these guys have the sort of crowd they want to attract and with the budget they have to work with. Definitely much cheaper getting Camron than it is to get Jay Z

·
Registered
370 Posts
I guess the way Scion sees it is these guys have the sort of crowd they want to attract and with the budget they have to work with. Definitely much cheaper getting Camron than it is to get Jay Z
sounds like a smart low-cost way to start promoting the iA, if they get the results they want with those guys there might not be a need to push further for celebs of higher status.

·
Registered
211 Posts
They've recently come out with a video promoting the iM so a promotional video for the iA may be out soon.

Scion x Eddie Huang: Shooting Hoops, Golf Putts and Tennis Serves
It's just a video of Eddie using it to commute to his daily workout locations.

Right away Eddie points out some of the key premium features, such as dual-zone climate control, touchscreen audio, gear selection with the CVTiS (that’s with 7-point shifting, mind you), and as he cruises through town, we also highlight the 17” factory alloys and all the space this hatch provides. “The iM is dope and you can put a lot of gear into it,” Eddie adds. And he definitely would use it to hit all the great eats…and then get straight into burning it all off with the help of Justin Norris, The Trainer’s Trainer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So now we are calling them "premium features"? I thought that premium would imply that there is a version or at least another vehicle that doesn't have those features. In today's car market, climate control, a touch screen and a gear shift are pretty much the norm. Good try Scion marketing team.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The idea behind these are cool, showing some well known people take the iM around during some things they do and how it works for them in those situations.

·
Registered
211 Posts
It's not the best review but it was enjoyable to watch and it reaches out to the younger generation that they were originally aiming for. Though I'm not too sure about the odor absorbing part.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's not the best review but it was enjoyable to watch and it reaches out to the younger generation that they were originally aiming for. Though I'm not too sure about the odor absorbing part.
I wouldn't even call it a review, it was just that dude going about some random things where the iA was used and gave some useless feedback.

But what's important is Scion captures his audience, the word spreads.

In the end it's about audience and capturing them.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't think I'm of the correct age group for his reviews. Just how young are Eddie Huang's fans?
He did release a review of the iA yesterday and it does point out a few of Scion iA's interior and exterior functions. Not necessarily from Eddie's mouth but they do touch upon the cargo space dimensions, touch screen, etc.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From what I can make of that video it seems like they're targeting the low 20's and up age group and a type that's into what they're into and what they offer.

It's just one of many ways to target a specific group, sort of like how they targeted enthusiasts by having the iA and iM at a this event:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts