Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota has said that it is developing a compact sports car that will sit below the FR-S. On Drive, chief engineer Testsuya Yada confirmed that Toyota is developing the concept which is being billed as a little brother to the Toyota GT86.

The company is undecided as to whether it will be a two-seater or a 2+2 model. But we do know that it will be rear-wheel drive with a focus on handling. No real info on the engine yet, but it is likely that the compact sports car will get a hybrid system to help boost performance.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2015/05/baby-scion-fr-s-under-development.html

·
Registered
370 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wouldn't a car like this be a competitor to the Miata? I just wonder if Mazda would really want to help Toyota make a vehicle that would compete against their most iconic model.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Wouldn't a car like this be a competitor to the Miata? I just wonder if Mazda would really want to help Toyota make a vehicle that would compete against their most iconic model.
New vs New, maybe to an extent but it still underpins the Miata, sitting in a new segment below it.

But what some guys will be doing is weighting out the options of getting this new compact OR a used FR-S, BRZ or Miata, since they'll be on a level pricing field.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Heard there's a chance this new sportscar could be an open wheel vehicle

From where did you hear that? If so it might be limited to JDM market. There is no way that render passes European pedestrian safety stands...

·
Registered
370 Posts
From where did you hear that? If so it might be limited to JDM market. There is no way that render passes European pedestrian safety stands...
Forgot where, was some mainstream publication but if you google search enough you should be able to find more.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think that Scion would build that. That would compete more with the Morgan three wheeler and Polaris Slingshot and the like in my opinion.

·
Registered
401 Posts
scion wouldn't
that was just on a new compact sports car toyota would come out.
no one is expecting scion to step to that level, they're not even close to that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts