Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, guys. I recently got an automatic Scion iA a few months ago, and so far I really like the car. I do, however, have a couple questions about shifting when in manual shift mode. According to the manual, the best times to shift are 15mph/2nd gear, 25mph/3rd gear, 40mph/4th gear, 45mph/5th gear, and 50mph/6th gear. Those are what are recommended to get the best mpg when driving in manual mode. But, when I take off in automatic then pop over to manual after only accelerating to about 35 or 40 mph, the current gear displayed is 6th gear. For those who drive in manual mode often, when do you usually shift, such as when driving on a 35mph road, and what is your top gear once you reach the posted speed limit? Second, how many miles are you able to get out of a full take, and how many weeks can you go between fill ups? I think I usually average around 350 miles/two weeks per tank, with an estimated range of around 384 miles when full. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I drive a lot my gas usually lasts about 3 days but its only 18 to fill up about a 10 gallon maybe 11 gallon tank i get around 390 miles before i fill up

·
Registered
10 Posts
Haven't spent much time with the manual mode so can't really help you there. I fuel up weekly, approximately 8.5 gallons of fuel for about 350 miles of mixed driving. Doesn't seem to matter if doing 35mph or 80mph, this car still gets better than 40mpg.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hey, guys. I recently got an automatic Scion iA a few months ago, and so far I really like the car. I do, however, have a couple questions about shifting when in manual shift mode. According to the manual, the best times to shift are 15mph/2nd gear, 25mph/3rd gear, 40mph/4th gear, 45mph/5th gear, and 50mph/6th gear. Those are what are recommended to get the best mpg when driving in manual mode. But, when I take off in automatic then pop over to manual after only accelerating to about 35 or 40 mph, the current gear displayed is 6th gear. For those who drive in manual mode often, when do you usually shift, such as when driving on a 35mph road, and what is your top gear once you reach the posted speed limit? Second, how many miles are you able to get out of a full take, and how many weeks can you go between fill ups? I think I usually average around 350 miles/two weeks per tank, with an estimated range of around 384 miles when full. Thanks in advance.
If you want the best MPG don't use manual, use AUTO. There's a reason why IT'S AUTO.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you want the best MPG don't use manual, use AUTO. There's a reason why IT'S AUTO.
I realize that, but in all honesty, the only reason I went with the automatic model is because the stick version I wanted to get had to be shipped to the dealership, which would've cost more than the auto model. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to drive in manual mode, and if people are getting around 350 miles or so on a full tank, which is what I normally get (that's driving mostly in manual, by the way), it may not matter which mode you drive in.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I realize that, but in all honesty, the only reason I went with the automatic model is because the stick version I wanted to get had to be shipped to the dealership, which would've cost more than the auto model. Plus, sometimes it's more fun to drive in manual mode, and if people are getting around 350 miles or so on a full tank, which is what I normally get (that's driving mostly in manual, by the way), it may not matter which mode you drive in.
That's why I went with auto in my Mazda3 too, they only had manual 2.0's and I wanted a 2.5, but I also got better mpg in manual than in auto. The book says to shift at those times assuming that you're accelerating to highway speeds though, if you're maintaining speed at 45 mph it can go into 6th but you can't really accelerate much or efficiently in 6th gear under 60 mph.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Haven't spent much time with the manual mode so can't really help you there. I fuel up weekly, approximately 8.5 gallons of fuel for about 350 miles of mixed driving. Doesn't seem to matter if doing 35mph or 80mph, this car still gets better than 40mpg.
I get 400ish with plus gas 380 regular (manual)
I get 300ish with premium (93 octane) and 290ish with regular (87 octane) in a manual lol, but I don't drive for efficiency, I drive however I feel like driving and if it happens to be with the pedal on the floor then it happens to be with the pedal on the floor, I'd rather enjoy driving than watch my speed and let off the gas to get better gas mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This may be a silly question, considering I've tried using the stuff before in my last car, but has anyone tried using E85 in their Scion yet? I'm pretty sure it's able to use it, but never really looked before because my last car, a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT, was able to use it, and my mpg was usually somewhat lower than when using 87 Regular. Just curious.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It says in the manual nothing more than 10% ethanol no e85
Yeah, I noticed that when I checked the gas cap last night. Probably just as well, seeing as I didn't get better mpg when using it in my last car. I am considering trying Plus when I fill up today. According to another poster here, they're able to get 400 or more mpg using it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It says in the manual nothing more than 10% ethanol no e85
Yeah, I noticed that when I checked the gas cap last night. Probably just as well, seeing as I didn't get better mpg when using it in my last car. I am considering trying Plus when I fill up today. According to another poster here, they're able to get 400 or more mpg using it.
I would love to get 400 mpg!! But they're probably getting 400 miles per tank, which is probably about 40 mpg being that they probably fill up when they're about 10 gallons low because that's between 1/8th and 1/16th of a tank on the fuel gauge if I remember correctly

·
Registered
330 Posts
This may be a silly question, considering I've tried using the stuff before in my last car, but has anyone tried using E85 in their Scion yet? I'm pretty sure it's able to use it, but never really looked before because my last car, a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT, was able to use it, and my mpg was usually somewhat lower than when using 87 Regular. Just curious.
Be our test trial

·
Registered
204 Posts
Be our test trial
While he's at it he should try rubbing alcohol too!

·
Registered
204 Posts
While he's at it he should try rubbing alcohol too!
I heard water works as well but oil companies need to make money so they're market towards people to use gasoline. Give that a shot too.
Oh and vodka! Don't they have busses that run on potato juice? Why not alcoholic potato juice, it's like 2 types of fuel! Try that too, you might get really good gas mileage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Everyone done with their version of 'quick wit'? As crazy as it may sound, some cars do run on regular gas and E85, just as my last two cars (2004 Ford Taurus SES and a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT) did. I didn't think to much about checking to see if it accepted E85 or not before I asked, so I suppose it's my fault for asking an innocent question. Long story short, could we maybe try to be a little more courteous towards other members? No one likes to be criticized for asking a question, and when they are it makes them not want to ask any. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a forum, don't you think? We're all here to help each other out, so let's try to grow up a little. Now, as for me trying E85 in MY car, that's obviously not gonna happen since I now know, after reading the gas cap and BEFORE reading these 'helpful' responses to my previous question. I made a boo-boo in asking it. I've learned and moved on, and it'd be nice if the cheeky little jokesters would do the same.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Everyone done with their version of 'quick wit'? As crazy as it may sound, some cars do run on regular gas and E85, just as my last two cars (2004 Ford Taurus SES and a 2012 Chevy Sonic LT) did. I didn't think to much about checking to see if it accepted E85 or not before I asked, so I suppose it's my fault for asking an innocent question. Long story short, could we maybe try to be a little more courteous towards other members? No one likes to be criticized for asking a question, and when they are it makes them not want to ask any. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a forum, don't you think? We're all here to help each other out, so let's try to grow up a little. Now, as for me trying E85 in MY car, that's obviously not gonna happen since I now know, after reading the gas cap and BEFORE reading these 'helpful' responses to my previous question. I made a boo-boo in asking it. I've learned and moved on, and it'd be nice if the cheeky little jokesters would do the same.
Doesn't it say on the gas cap not to use E85?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Doesn't it say on the gas cap not to use E85?
Yeah... and in the manual... and most imports don't take e85, just a few American cars (Rams with the 4.7, Chevy trucks, Ford sedans and smaller suv's, and probably a few more)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts