Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been reading in the news that Toyota and Ford are partnering up to come out with an operating system that allows us to access smartphone apps and features via the infotainment system without using CarPlay and Android Auto.

SmartDeviceLink is being adopted into future vehicles but will it be backwards compatible with models that are already in production like the Scion iA?

·
Registered
206 Posts
It's funny and weird how ****-bent Toyota is on not using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Really seems like you would want to standardize since 97% of smartphone users use one or the other. But I guess they have a reason. *shrug*

From what I understand, Toyota is basically buying out a technology that Ford had been working on because Ford has decided to switch to AndroidAuto/CarPlay with 2017 models.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10702844/ford-motors-apple-carplay-android-auto-announced-ces-2016

However, none of this really matters because our entertainment system is a Mazda system (called Mazda Connect), but slightly modified by Scion. So unless Mazda decides to go with SmartDeviceLink or AndroidAuto/CarPlay integration, I don't think we will see an upgrade. And Unfortunately, because our car is kind of a theoretical "step-child" (sorry if that's politically incorrect, I was a step-child), we might get left out even if Mazda was to upgrade.

I would bet that the best way we could ever see a factory upgrade is if Scion sells a crap-ton of iAs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's funny and weird how ****-bent Toyota is on not using Android Auto or Apple CarPlay. Really seems like you would want to standardize since 97% of smartphone users use one or the other. But I guess they have a reason. *shrug*

From what I understand, Toyota is basically buying out a technology that Ford had been working on because Ford has decided to switch to AndroidAuto/CarPlay with 2017 models.
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/4/10702844/ford-motors-apple-carplay-android-auto-announced-ces-2016

However, none of this really matters because our entertainment system is a Mazda system (called Mazda Connect), but slightly modified by Scion. So unless Mazda decides to go with SmartDeviceLink or AndroidAuto/CarPlay integration, I don't think we will see an upgrade. And Unfortunately, because our car is kind of a theoretical "step-child" (sorry if that's politically incorrect, I was a step-child), we might get left out even if Mazda was to upgrade.

I would bet that the best way we could ever see a factory upgrade is if Scion sells a crap-ton of iAs.
That`s what I`ve been saying about Toyota this whole time but being one of the biggest players in the game does make you think about what they have planned which they see to be better if that`s the case.

·
Registered
62 Posts
driving.ca thinks they're so dead set against Andriod Auto and Carplay because of security reasons.
A Jeep Cherokee was hacked last year.
Every BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce made between March 2010 and December 2014 had their doors unlocked.
Tesla Model S had their engine cut remotely.

Not sure how much more secure their own system is going to be but we'll see.

Great explanation richard_rsp!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's unfortunate. We're in the tech phase where our mobile devices are very important to our daily lives and should be integrated into our vehicles too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
driving.ca thinks they're so dead set against Andriod Auto and Carplay because of security reasons.
A Jeep Cherokee was hacked last year.
Every BMW, Mini, and Rolls-Royce made between March 2010 and December 2014 had their doors unlocked.
Tesla Model S had their engine cut remotely.

Not sure how much more secure their own system is going to be but we'll see.

Great explanation richard_rsp!
Kind of funny because none of those cars mentioned have Android Auto or CarPlay, lol...

After reading that article it seems that they are more worried about giving up control to tech giants (Google/Apple) but even Ford was working with Microsoft. Oh well....

·
Registered
164 Posts

Ford is continuing with both programs. CP/AA is a short term thing, SDL is their long term play. The dashboard infortainment system is about to become the next major battleground and automakers want thier piece of the cake.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Once self driving cars are out we should even see them apply infotainment to the windshield with HUD, but more widespread than it is currently.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts