Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ordered my Pulse (red) iA today so don't have the manual yet. Started looking at winter rims/tires - tire rack advisor had complete info:
Standard rim: 16x5.5, 40 offset
Standard tire: 185/60-16
Bolt pattern: 4x100

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for posting this- I was about to take a wheel off today to get this information.

5.5" wheel width? Ugh, I as afraid of that. I imagine that will make it pretty difficult for this car to be competitive in the Street (Stock) classes in autocross. Might as well look towards Street Touring. :-/

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anybody finds out the TPMS information (frequency), please post.

For me, winter tires are a must below 45F (North East) regardless whether it snows or not so I am looking at the tirerack winter tire special (14" steel wheels with Goodyear ultra grip winter tires):
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...Scion&autoModel=iA&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=

Was looking at alternatives in 16' and 17", and it's $800+ for a basic set of rims with very good winter performance tires (no TPMS).

Might end up swapping OEM rubber for Pirelli Sottozero in 195/60-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2016&autoModel=iA&autoModClar=&wtpackage=true) when it gets cold, then get another set of rims/tires for the warm moths. OEM rim width 5.5 is the minimum recommended width for Pirellis in this size, so this combo would work.

There isn't much I can find on the brand new model OEM tire Toyo Proxes A27. UTQG 240AA seems more like a summer compound that can be used as an all season.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for posting this- I was about to take a wheel off today to get this information.

5.5" wheel width? Ugh, I as afraid of that. I imagine that will make it pretty difficult for this car to be competitive in the Street (Stock) classes in autocross. Might as well look towards Street Touring. :-/
Based on a brief test drive, iA is set up for comfort and understeers at the limit, as expected. Thumbs up for a much more compliant daily driver/street ride than expected. iA will help me preserve my track/ax prepped FR-S.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure a stock iA is good for autocross even with a change of wheels. More of a sporty daily driver to me.
Thanks for posting the tire specs dp1.
I used to do okay with my old Mazda2, but eventually did modify it to be in ST. I know this is a new version of the 2, but still has a lot of the same bones.

Even though his name does get thrown around a lot, Andy Hollis (well known in Autocross) won STF at the 2012 Lincoln Nationals with a Mazda 2. Yes, he is a machine and no, I am not THAT dedicated to autocross, but I would think it is a decent starting platform.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Purchased winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack:
- Rims: Sparco Assetto Gara 15x6.5, black, 37mm offset, 15lb
- Tires: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D tires, 195/65-15.

In the process, I learned that there is no TPMS sensor to mount on the valve stem - the "TPMS system" in Scion iA is based off a wheel rotational sensor built into the ABS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the process, I learned that there is no TPMS sensor to mount on the valve stem - the "TPMS system" in Scion iA is based off a wheel rotational sensor built into the ABS.
YES! This is excellent news!!! I was wondering since it had rubber valve stems on the wheels.

Congrats on the winter wheels btw!

Reactions: dp1

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone found a good source for steel wheels in 15" or 16"? I thought about going with the TireRack 14" setup but I've never cared for the performance of the Winterforce tire and would prefer Altimax or something.

edit: I'm also trying to figure out what are some decent alternative tire sizes to be looking at for the stock rims. Seems to be quite a variety for 195/55 R16

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm getting a set of enkie ev5 17x7+45 wheels for my car, and I'm gong to run 205/40-17 yokohama sdrive tires

·
Registered
172 Posts
It felt like there was an inch outside, and 3-4 inside. We will find out soon lol

·
Registered
401 Posts
All wheels are an alloy lol but I believe the wheels I want are cast, not forged
Good enough, should be able to handle the level of abuse the average wheel goes through.

I was actually thinking to look into OEM Toyota/Scion/Lexus wheels on the used market since you can find them for cheap and they look good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ended up going with Enkei YS5 because tire rack put them on close out before I got around to buying the MSW wheels.

Looking forward to seeing how this drives in the snow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.