Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ordered my Pulse (red) iA today so don't have the manual yet. Started looking at winter rims/tires - tire rack advisor had complete info:
Standard rim: 16x5.5, 40 offset
Standard tire: 185/60-16
Bolt pattern: 4x100

·
Registered
206 Posts
Thanks for posting this- I was about to take a wheel off today to get this information.

5.5" wheel width? Ugh, I as afraid of that. I imagine that will make it pretty difficult for this car to be competitive in the Street (Stock) classes in autocross. Might as well look towards Street Touring. :-/

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If anybody finds out the TPMS information (frequency), please post.

For me, winter tires are a must below 45F (North East) regardless whether it snows or not so I am looking at the tirerack winter tire special (14" steel wheels with Goodyear ultra grip winter tires):
http://www.tirerack.com/snow/Winter...Scion&autoModel=iA&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=

Was looking at alternatives in 16' and 17", and it's $800+ for a basic set of rims with very good winter performance tires (no TPMS).

Might end up swapping OEM rubber for Pirelli Sottozero in 195/60-16 (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...2016&autoModel=iA&autoModClar=&wtpackage=true) when it gets cold, then get another set of rims/tires for the warm moths. OEM rim width 5.5 is the minimum recommended width for Pirellis in this size, so this combo would work.

There isn't much I can find on the brand new model OEM tire Toyo Proxes A27. UTQG 240AA seems more like a summer compound that can be used as an all season.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for posting this- I was about to take a wheel off today to get this information.

5.5" wheel width? Ugh, I as afraid of that. I imagine that will make it pretty difficult for this car to be competitive in the Street (Stock) classes in autocross. Might as well look towards Street Touring. :-/
Based on a brief test drive, iA is set up for comfort and understeers at the limit, as expected. Thumbs up for a much more compliant daily driver/street ride than expected. iA will help me preserve my track/ax prepped FR-S.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Not sure a stock iA is good for autocross even with a change of wheels. More of a sporty daily driver to me.
Thanks for posting the tire specs dp1.
It has the foundation for autocrossing, even as it is from the factory. But i'd imagine that the type of person to do that is the type to modify and improve it for that purpose.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Not sure a stock iA is good for autocross even with a change of wheels. More of a sporty daily driver to me.
Thanks for posting the tire specs dp1.
I used to do okay with my old Mazda2, but eventually did modify it to be in ST. I know this is a new version of the 2, but still has a lot of the same bones.

Even though his name does get thrown around a lot, Andy Hollis (well known in Autocross) won STF at the 2012 Lincoln Nationals with a Mazda 2. Yes, he is a machine and no, I am not THAT dedicated to autocross, but I would think it is a decent starting platform.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Purchased winter wheels and tires from Tire Rack:
- Rims: Sparco Assetto Gara 15x6.5, black, 37mm offset, 15lb
- Tires: Dunlop SP Winter Sport 4D tires, 195/65-15.

In the process, I learned that there is no TPMS sensor to mount on the valve stem - the "TPMS system" in Scion iA is based off a wheel rotational sensor built into the ABS.

·
Registered
206 Posts
In the process, I learned that there is no TPMS sensor to mount on the valve stem - the "TPMS system" in Scion iA is based off a wheel rotational sensor built into the ABS.
YES! This is excellent news!!! I was wondering since it had rubber valve stems on the wheels.

Congrats on the winter wheels btw!

Reactions: dp1

·
Registered
143 Posts
Anyone found a good source for steel wheels in 15" or 16"? I thought about going with the TireRack 14" setup but I've never cared for the performance of the Winterforce tire and would prefer Altimax or something.

edit: I'm also trying to figure out what are some decent alternative tire sizes to be looking at for the stock rims. Seems to be quite a variety for 195/55 R16

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm getting a set of enkie ev5 17x7+45 wheels for my car, and I'm gong to run 205/40-17 yokohama sdrive tires

·
Registered
143 Posts
Isn't a 7" wheel with a 45 offset going to be about an inch more wheel on the inside? Is there that much free clearance?

·
Registered
172 Posts
It felt like there was an inch outside, and 3-4 inside. We will find out soon lol

·
Registered
172 Posts
All wheels are an alloy lol but I believe the wheels I want are cast, not forged

Reactions: scionic

·
Registered
401 Posts
All wheels are an alloy lol but I believe the wheels I want are cast, not forged
Good enough, should be able to handle the level of abuse the average wheel goes through.

I was actually thinking to look into OEM Toyota/Scion/Lexus wheels on the used market since you can find them for cheap and they look good.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ended up going with Enkei YS5 because tire rack put them on close out before I got around to buying the MSW wheels.

Looking forward to seeing how this drives in the snow.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts