Scion IA Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Anyone found a good source for steel wheels in 15" or 16"? I thought about going with the TireRack 14" setup but I've never cared for the performance of the Winterforce tire and would prefer Altimax or something.

edit: I'm also trying to figure out what are some decent alternative tire sizes to be looking at for the stock rims. Seems to be quite a variety for 195/55 R16
let me know what sizes you go to

·
Registered
330 Posts
It'll fit I'm sure, but that tire is a bit wide for the stock wheel.
Do you think it'll rub the side fenders :[ I seen FR-S with huges tires and that rub the size fendors trying to avoid that

·
Registered
330 Posts
Ordered my Pulse (red) iA today so don't have the manual yet. Started looking at winter rims/tires - tire rack advisor had complete info:
Standard rim: 16x5.5, 40 offset
Standard tire: 185/60-16
Bolt pattern: 4x100
Any chance did you weight the rim and tire (seperately)? just curious of the weight :]

·
Registered
2 Posts
weights

Hey guys, just got my Scion iA and couldn't find out the wheel/tire weights ANYWHERE!.....if its out there, maybe my research technique needs refining.
Anyways---I weighed the wheel myself just now:

Total Weight - 36.2 LBS
Tires are Toyo Proxes A27 - which weigh 16 LBS according to tirerack- i cant post link yet :\ - but a quick search for the proxes, then go to "specs" and you'll find it.

Wheels (must) weigh - 20.2 LBS (weight = total-tire) (also- part number --> 42611-WB002 )

These are estimates I guess I should say. I didn't weigh the wheel separate from the tire. and didn't exactly weigh the balance weights.......just used a regular bathroom scale...so take the numbers for what they're worth!...but I hope this helps someone!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I have a great tip. I have 38k and I put 195/50 16 Dunlop direzza's on. The lower profile changed my overall gearing and now I zip along a lot better. Seems like the stock gearing is for the MPG wars and is to high. Walmart had these Dunlop's for $89 each but they have raised the price to $105. When I get custom rims for my Scion I am going to get 16 rims to take advantage or this gearing advantage. My speedometer is off by 4 instead of 2 mph which it was stock. Car will lose about 2mpg but top speed is gearing limited so you can lose or gain there. Scion zips along nicely now. Overall diameter of tire has a direct affect on gearing. Makes this thing go like a little Miata.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a thought

Anyone given much thought to these wheel spacers and a 195/50 16 tire set up? Stock rim. Will these work? ZOOM-ZOOM

Baer Brakes Billet Aluminum Wheel Spacers 2000001

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hey I have a great tip. I have 38k and I put 195/50 16 Dunlop direzza's on. The lower profile changed my overall gearing and now I zip along a lot better. Seems like the stock gearing is for the MPG wars and is to high. Walmart had these Dunlop's for $89 each but they have raised the price to $105. When I get custom rims for my Scion I am going to get 16 rims to take advantage or this gearing advantage. My speedometer is off by 4 instead of 2 mph which it was stock. Car will lose about 2mpg but top speed is gearing limited so you can lose or gain there. Scion zips along nicely now. Overall diameter of tire has a direct affect on gearing. Makes this thing go like a little Miata.
Do you have some pics?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts