Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

TFL has written a concise but informative review on the Scion iA, and they love it.

This is a nimble car. The steering is quick, although it transmits little road feel. The ride is very supple, especially for a subcompact, and handling is secure with a good suspension and 16-inch alloy wheels. The brakes work well, with linear pedal action...

I give the affordable and well-equipped 2016 Scion iA a Buy It! rating. Toyota’s relatively young Scion operation needs a sales shot in the arm, and the iA might provide it.
Some other interesting parts of the review:

Scion expects 75% of iA customers to be first-time buyers.

"The automatic has a sport mode that adjusts throttle response and shift points for quicker initial acceleration."

http://www.tflcar.com/2015/08/2016-scion-ia-lots-of-car-for-the-money-review/

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks for the link! The acceleration is not what I was hoping for but at the current price point, it's not bad and it sounds great when he was accelerating.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Thanks for the link! The acceleration is not what I was hoping for but at the current price point, it's not bad and it sounds great when he was accelerating.
They probably had to do that just to get the MPG rating they got and we all know how much that matters in the current MPG wars and how much that pulls people in to a new vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
They probably had to do that just to get the MPG rating they got and we all know how much that matters in the current MPG wars and how much that pulls people in to a new vehicle.
I can see why that may be the case with shooting up city mileage.

Getting numbers up for marketing is important, saying you get the "BEST" gas mileage out of the entire segment makes an impact, even if its 1-2 MPG's more than the runner up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The acceleration is fine for the price point and unless you're doing track, it's enough to get onto the highway. Probably the only way you can improve by a small margin is to replace the tires for a better launch.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The acceleration is fine for the price point and unless you're doing track, it's enough to get onto the highway. Probably the only way you can improve by a small margin is to replace the tires for a better launch.
Anyone seriously concerned about acceleration should just go for the manual since it's what will allow for more control in those situations.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With a car at the lower end of the market like this, I think that they prioritize mpg over acceleration. People are more concerned with cost of ownership and fuel costs than they are with acceleration.

·
Registered
401 Posts
With a car at the lower end of the market like this, I think that they prioritize mpg over acceleration. People are more concerned with cost of ownership and fuel costs than they are with acceleration.
Indeed, efficient commutes are the key here and reason for them doing what they did but there still is reason for some concern about how it performs.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm thinking especially with that Mazda engine which over time they've proven to be peppy and at the same time give good range, now just can't wait to test drive one.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yeah that's what I'm thinking especially with that Mazda engine which over time they've proven to be peppy and at the same time give good range, now just can't wait to test drive one.
It's good enough that there's a rumor Scion could be working on a skyactiv engine for the FR-S and we all know what more the FR-S can use.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It's good enough that there's a rumor Scion could be working on a skyactiv engine for the FR-S and we all know what more the FR-S can use.
Did some googling and found this:

Here’s what we predict power will be numbers-wise for the next generation Scion FR-S with KERS. We feel Toyota might bump up displacement to 1.6 liters and bring power to around 190 HP naturally aspirated. Look for Toyota’s KERS System to add a 30-40 HP boost for anywhere between five-10 seconds. This might be good enough to drop FR-S’s 0-60 mph time to somewhere in the mid-5 second range.
Like the sounds of it, can't wait.

·
Registered
34 Posts
it should sound even better when someone throws an aftermarket air intake in their, more noticeable from the cabin and even hearing it drive by.
That wont do anything on this car. maybe 2 hp at high rpm. Most of these new cars are extremely well sorted out. In some cases adding things might make it slower.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts