Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The article is about an old Citroen 2CV, but the idea holds true here I think. Some people get uppity and scoff at low horsepower numbers...idiots...

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...0001&utm_medium=trueAnthem&utm_source=twitter

A week later, I flew to Texas to test the Cadillac ATS-V. It was . . . fine. A good car. Maybe even very good. The engine makes 464 hp and a raspy snarl. It cranked through Turn 17 at Circuit of the Americas sideways and gentle, a froufed-up hooligan with leather and manners.

But there was no fear of death, no implausible. Several times, I found myself wishing for less car, not more.

·
Registered
370 Posts
It all comes down to knowing what you want in a vehicle and knowing the types of vehicles you're into or interested in, a lot of people miss out on that last part.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It all comes down to knowing what you want in a vehicle and knowing the types of vehicles you're into or interested in, a lot of people miss out on that last part.
Some people are unhappy with vehicles not because the vehicle has flaws, but because tey are looking for something that the vehicle was never trying to offer people. That doesn't make the vehicle bad, it just means that the vehicle is not for you.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Some people are unhappy with vehicles not because the vehicle has flaws, but because tey are looking for something that the vehicle was never trying to offer people. That doesn't make the vehicle bad, it just means that the vehicle is not for you.
I know this was the case with the FR-S
It was made as a vehicle for the turns, meanwhile folks continue to complain its slow in a straight line... as if on paper that wasn't obvious.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know this was the case with the FR-S
It was made as a vehicle for the turns, meanwhile folks continue to complain its slow in a straight line... as if on paper that wasn't obvious.
Its more fun to drive a slow car fast then a fast car slow. Unfortunately everyone is absolutely CONVINCED they could be Fernando Alonso if only they had the 'right' car...

·
Registered
401 Posts
It's usually the guys that have had a faster car or understand this without having to own one that appreciates not so powerful vehicles.

It's why if I had the coin i'd get an M235i or even the M2 over an M435i or M4

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't think that everything comes down to speed. Its not like the fastest car is the most fun to drive. Handling, acceleration, suspension, ride height -- these are all important things too. I think that many people are too married to judging a car by the numbers on paper instead of being open to experience each vehicle in a test drive without pre-judgement.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't think that everything comes down to speed. Its not like the fastest car is the most fun to drive. Handling, acceleration, suspension, ride height -- these are all important things too. I think that many people are too married to judging a car by the numbers on paper instead of being open to experience each vehicle in a test drive without pre-judgement.
Absolutely. So many people judge cars based only on numbers and not on feel. To me, the feel is very important. And it's why I'm not going to buy a Scion iA until I can test drive one.

I've saved my money up for a very long time to afford my first brand new car, and you bet I'm going to make sure I like the way it feels.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Absolutely. So many people judge cars based only on numbers and not on feel. To me, the feel is very important. And it's why I'm not going to buy a Scion iA until I can test drive one.

I've saved my money up for a very long time to afford my first brand new car, and you bet I'm going to make sure I like the way it feels.
Have you considered just test driving the Mazda2? Won't it feel and drive basically the same as the Scion iA?

·
Registered
401 Posts
^ Good point.

That it will, being based on the same platform with the same engine, the driving experience shouldn't change, just have to close your eyes and imagine you're in an iA

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yea I think that the differences will be in the exact content of the features, a few cosmetic things, and that's about it.

It's good news, you don't actually have to wait to do a test drive. You can go do one now. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The new Mazda 2 is not available in the US...or I would have already driven one. :D
There was still some supply right up until the end of April. but supply was tight and there was no guarantee you were going to find them on a dealer lot.

If anyone is in Canada go test drive the CX-3. Its a similar powerplant and the same chassis just CUVeed. Not the greatest insight to glean but hey if you're that interested :D;)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Just have to keep in mind with that it won't perform at its best due to the added weight but still SOMETHING to test this engine in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just have to keep in mind with that it won't perform at its best due to the added weight but still SOMETHING to test this engine in.
The iA has a curb weight of 2396 with the manual and 2484 with the automatic. That is pretty light, acceleration should be great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts