Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Toyota is killing off Scion and transitioning the cars back under the Toyota badge. It’s been double checked by Jalopnik after they sent out a few emails and made some calls to Toyota for a confirmation.

That’s right, there won’t be any more Scions after yours. All 2017 model year Scions (iM, iA, FR-S, and the C-HR concept model) will be rebadged as Toyotas except for the tC Coupe. If you want to get your hands on one, order soon because its production is set to end this August. As for servicing, just take your Scion to any of Toyota's service departments and they will continue to service your vehicle.

Why did Toyota kill off Scion you ask?

Because Scion sales have been slumping over the years. Sure they had a great run from 2005-2008 with yearly U.S. sales numbers of over 100,000 units and at the brand’s height in 2006, 173,034 units were sold in the U.S. alone. But the momentum didn’t last and the number dramatically decreased after 2008 to around half of what it used to be. Even with the new iA and iM model release, Scion was still seeing a decline year after year. Maybe Toyota was already preparing for this with the iA when it was launched last year in Canada as a Toyota Yaris.

What we do know is that Toyota achieved what it originally set out to do with Scion, attract younger buyers and use the Scion badge to fast track and test out ideas in the real world.

Will you miss Scion?

·
Registered
206 Posts
In all honesty, I am not too upset by this. The pure pricing was kind of cool and refreshing purchase experience (I have had 2 friends buy Scions while I was with them, plus both my wife and I have both purchased one). It provided some of our better dealership experiences.

But in all honesty, the only reason I purchased the iA was because it is essentially a Mazda 2, which I can no longer get. Sorry folks that are Scion fans....

·
Registered
143 Posts
Same here. Woulda bought a Mazda 2 were it available. I'm interested to see what a Yaris specced out with all the options the iA has will end up costing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Now it will make sense to rebadge future Toyota vehicles with Scion badges. It will be a vintage throwback type thing. A rarity.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Maybe our cars will become collectors items! I can picture my future sales ad...

"Rare numbers matching manual transmission 2016 Scion iA, only year of production!"

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm all right with it, too. The Scion dealer is about 400 miles west of me in Denver. But Lewis Toyota is right in town here! So it will be a lot more practical if I want to buy an iA of my own in the next couple of years. And Toyota will not just dump current Scion dealers, which is really cool.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mountain States Scion in Denver looks ta be standalone but I can head over to their website and see if I can learn if there is a connection to a Toyota dealer. IIRC it's a separate Scion dealer.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mountain States Scion in Denver looks ta be standalone but I can head over to their website and see if I can learn if there is a connection to a Toyota dealer. IIRC it's a separate Scion dealer.
I'm actually surprised they would do that at all, only makes sense to pair it with a toyota dealer.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yea I wasn't aware of those existing period. What prospective business owner in their right mind would choose to open a Scion dealership totally removed from a Toyota dealership?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Yea I wasn't aware of those existing period. What prospective business owner in their right mind would choose to open a Scion dealership totally removed from a Toyota dealership?
Not only that but I think it should be part of Toyota's operational strategy to make sure Scion initially launches

·
Registered
211 Posts
Those 1,004 Scion dealers are going to close down I assume or remodeled to become a Toyota dealership. Think any Scion dealerships are selling off Scion related things at a discount because of this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sucks

It sucks that Toyota introduced two fresh models for the Scion line, and then less than 6 months after they are put on the lot they completely slit the Scion brand's throat. I can see where they made their missteps, though. The ia and im should have been released at least two years ago to liven up the brand.

The iq and xd were both wastes of manufacturers time and funds, so not much to say there.

And probably most significant of all, the xb should have NEVER been so drastically redesigned from its original beloved boxy style. They turned it into something that resembled a bloated mini-van, turning buyers of the original away, and allowing Kia to steal their thunder almost overnight with the much sleeker Soul.
Then to add insult to injury they never did try to do much to redesign the xb for a third generation, which was just bizzare. I'll never get over that one.

The tc was always solid, even if it was bland in its first generation. And the FR-S is good too, so it's fortunate that will be sticking around. They should have really pushed promotion for the new ia and im (the ia has things on it that more expensive vehicles don't even have), and at least waited for the release of the C-HR to see how it performed as a Scion before killing the brand altogether. Just my two cents, though. After nearly a decade and a half, I think Toyota could have given Scion one more good shot

·
Registered
401 Posts
Starting to think they had this in mind for a while now, reason why they went for such speedy process of either finding something already existing that they can sell elsewhere (north america of course... the Scion iM) OR outsource to another brand, Scion iA. All that instead of going to the drawing board and coming up with a new model completely Scion.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yep - I would like a 2017 or 2018 Toyota iA 6-speed in either Pulse or Stealth color. Great news - I yelled out loud "Yes" when I first saw the news online about it.

·
Registered
422 Posts
The rebadged Mazda is an excellent vehicle whether its a Toyota, Scion or whatever. The standard safety features are pretty incredible. Only cheap car where you are getting collision avoidance standard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts