Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Scion’s getting axed and the production of the iA as we know it will come to an end in August this year. Under Toyota, the iA will be called the Yaris iA so, how does it stack up against its future nameplate sibling?

Yes, we know one is a subcompact based on the Mazda 2 sedan and the other is a pure Toyota hatchback but we’re still going to pit them against each other and see which one comes out on top.

The Yaris is the generic, runoff the mill hatch designed to get you from point A to point B and with Toyota’s reputation for reliability, it’s likely to last you 200,000 miles with proper maintenance. That’s fine for a bread and butter type of car and it has much to offer like direct steering, great visibility, comfortable seats, space for five people, and it’s not hard on the eyes. Not bad for a $15-18K car and its 106 hp inline four engine paired with a four-speed automatic transmission will make moderate hill climbing fun. But, it’s no match for the Yaris iA.

Sure, the Yaris iA may not have the space and functionality of a hatchback but it offers us a plethora of standard features at the affordable price of $17,595 if, you manage to get your hands on a Scion badged iA. The Mazda 1.5-liter four may have the same power output as the Yaris at 106 hp but, it handles better and the six-speed manual transmission that’s similar to the Miata will make this subcompact a hoot to drive.

Also, you’ll be getting standard features like remote start, low speed pre-collision system, backup camera and more. Its interior is quiet, well built, and it feels more like a mid-level Mazda than an entry level Toyota.

In conclusion, the Yaris iA is the better deal with since it has a combination of Toyota warranty and reputation for reliability and Mazda’s sporty handling, transmission and quality interior.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Toyota Yaris has terrible reputation among enthusiasts. Would always be explaining that it wasn't "the" Yaris everyone thinks it was. Would much rather drive a Scion iA. Much better cachet.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Toyota Yaris has terrible reputation among enthusiasts. Would always be explaining that it wasn't "the" Yaris everyone thinks it was. Would much rather drive a Scion iA. Much better cachet.
+1 I would never have bought a Yaris and I don't want my iA to be called a Yaris. Strange.

·
Registered
4 Posts
yaris vs. ia

Nothing is strange about you not wanting be yaris driver! I did become scion driver because I didn't want drive corolla or yaris or camry- cant afford aston martin.... I had scion iq, but lease was over after 3.5 year, and no new iq, so i've lease ia and now i feel cheated...Im really pist, but i like the car very much! I did some customizing and at the rear stops at gas stations I'm frequently getting compliments- nice car bro :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
one more think- be aware of yaris and corolla drivers! They are hazard on the road! Im pro cab driver- have some experience :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I picked up a new Yaris back in 2012 and have had absolutely no issues with it. It is a daily driver with fantastic reliability pushing 80K miles at this point. For a second car, I now I have a 2017 iA, which pulls in 40 MPG and drives like a dream. Just my few pennies in the discussion since I have skin in the game.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts