Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to add a trailer hitch to the iA so I can use a bike rack. I've searched and searched but no manufacturer is making one yet. Is there a Mazda hitch that could fit?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd go to mazda abd ask if they made one for the 2014/5 mazda 2, then see if they will fit I'd they did make one

·
Registered
28 Posts
Have a Curt 1.25 " hitch on my iA installed by Toyota dealer. This is the first I've heard about the stabilizer strap. Dealer commented on how stout the installed hitch seemed to be. Have been transporting 2 fairly light bikes (40 lbs plus Yakima rack at around 40 lbs) with no problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Curt info indicates a maximum load of 200 lbs. There are 4 bolts securing the Curt hitch so max load is 50 lbs/bolt.

The bikes/rack system I have generate a load of 80 lbs or 20 lbs/bolt. Kuat sells a 2 bike hitch rack that weighs 11 lbs. So with 2 bikes weighing 45 lbs and the Kuat hitch rack, the load per bolt would be around 14 lbs/bolt. The Curt strap secured to the trunk -- with loads from 56-80 lbs or 28-40 % of capacity -- seems rediculous!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have been transporting 2 fairly light bikes (40 lbs plus Yakima rack at around 40 lbs) with no problems whatsoever.
I was hoping for report like that. I will take 1 bike from Dayton OH to Gaylord MI (7 hours of mostly interstate highway) later this month.

I ordered the strap...paid 10 bucks for it...but would rather not attach a clip onto the body sheet metal.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The Curt strap secured to the trunk -- with loads from 56-80 lbs or 28-40 % of capacity -- seems rediculous!
Thank you. I would rather feel that I don't need to use this strap. I have an Allen Sports S525 two bike carrier hitch rack. In combination with the bike, they total about 60 lbs onto the hitch, or 30% of capacity, using your math.

I like the Allen rack; it tilts back for "easy lift-gate access", which is a nice feature. This Curt strap would take it away.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think that Curt must be concerned about dynamic loading nearer capacity (200 lbs) on bumpy pavement and bolt failure. Why would you buy a hitch that required a strap?! I'd be inclined to go with a light 2 bike carrier like the Kuat Beta (weighs only 11 lbs).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked up the Kuat Beta, and agree that it looks like a great choice, being so light weight and well made. Looks like it also has fold and tilt features, which I think are musts.

That being said, I am happy with my Allen rack after one trip. I did not use the strap, but it was nonetheless rock solid, no bounce or wobble for the couple of road hours on the car. The rack and the bikes clear the car nicely. Tip: rest the bike crank arm onto the post to immobilize it and also gain a tad more clearance. The Allen tilt away feature is quick and easy with a simple one handed release, the tilt back is quicker, easier with gentle push.

The dealer did not tell me of the strap. I found that info on my own. Now, I see no reason to use it. Makes you wonder...

Mazda deserves another applause for thoughtful design...the rear camera is not placed dead center on the Ia, but slightly towards the drivers side. The center-mounted hitch and rack do not block the camera view.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts