Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone in this forum can help me out. I've been having this problem since I got my 2016 Scion iA. Basically, the USB port in my iA doesn't charge my phone. At first, I thought it was the charging cord that I'm using, but I have the same issue even when I'm using the original charging cord that came with the phone. The phone doesn't charge, even though the icon on the phone is showing that it is. But I can see the battery life get lower, especially when I am using it. This, to me, defeats the purpose of the USB port in my car. This has become an issue on long drives, where I can't even listen to music or use my phone's navigation without risking being stuck with a dead phone the rest of the day. The only time my phone will charge is if I put it on "Ultra Power Saving" mode, and even then the charging is extremely slow. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5, and at first I thought it might just be my phone. But friends who use the charging port while in my car have the same issue with their devices. Am i doing something wrong? Is there something I'm supposed to do to make it work right? I also have the same problem with the 12V socket.
I'm calling the Scion customer service tomorrow, but just wanted to see if I can get answers here first.
Does anyone else have the same problem?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hate to bare bad news, but I'm pretty sure the iAs (and most other cars') USBs are 0.5 Amps, which is the standard USB power outage for computers (up until the last year or two). They are designed to power a USB flash drive, and for data transfer; not really with charging in mind. The problem is that your phone uses power at a faster rate than that. Most modern phone wall chargers will charge at 1.0A or 2.0A, including the Galaxy S5.

The USBs are for transfer of music from your smartphone or a USB drive. Yes they will (VERY slowly) charge someting, but if your device is using power greater than the 0.5A can charge, then I recommend an external 1.0 or 2.0A 12V DC charger and streaming music via Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hate to bare bad news, but I'm pretty sure the iAs (and most other cars') USBs are 0.5 Amps, which is the standard USB power outage for computers (up until the last year or two). They are designed to power a USB flash drive, and for data transfer; not really with charging in mind. The problem is that your phone uses power at a faster rate than that. Most modern phone wall chargers will charge at 1.0A or 2.0A, including the Galaxy S5.

The USBs are for transfer of music from your smartphone or a USB drive. Yes they will (VERY slowly) charge someting, but if your device is using power greater than the 0.5A can charge, then I recommend an external 1.0 or 2.0A 12V DC charger and streaming music via Bluetooth.
Thank you! I'm glad someone finally had an answer for me! I appreciate you helping out with my question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts