Scion IA Forum banner

Wait for the Scion iX (Aygo) or get the iA Sedan?

• Wait for the iX

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Undecided

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With news of Scion possibly using the Aygo for its next vehicle, to be badged as the "iX", is anyone planning to hold off on the iA sedan and wait for the iX to come to market?

Murtha, Scion group vice president, explains how partnerships with other automakers, as well as sharing within the larger Toyota lineup has long been a part of the product strategy. “It’s pretty much been the case since Scion’s launch,” he said, pointing to the xA, xB and even the recently axed iQ.

Based on Toyota’s current global product list, the options aren’t plentiful with cars like the Etios, Aygo and Verso as possible candidates.

With the removal of the iQ from Scion’s lineup, the Aygo could replace it as a new city car option. In Europe it’s available with either a 1.3-liter or a 1.0-liter 3-cylinder engine making 68 hp. It also costs just 6,800 British Pounds (roughly $12,800).

“That has always been our sourcing model to look for products in other global markets that we might not bring in as a Toyota but that we might bring in under the Scion brand,” said Murtha, commenting that there’s more to Scion than just brand-engineered models. “We don’t want to become Geo, where were basically selling cars that are either wholly built by someone else or only through partnerships,” he said. “As long as they meet the basic requirements we have as a brand we’re fine with that as a source for new product.”

·
Registered
164 Posts
The Aygo isn't likely to temp me. I've heard offhand that the Mazda 2, iA, are fantastic handling cars which can't really be said about the Aygo. The only thing that would tempt me to wait would be the rumored sub FR-S coupe...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I love the design of the Aygo, especially in that orange. I gotta say, I probably would jump ship for a Scion iX

·
Registered
422 Posts
Isn't the Aygo going to be smaller than the Scion iA? For me I am wanting a compact sedan and not a small city hatchback. I just think that the iA will fit better for what I do on a day-to-day basis.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Going off of what I can make of it in these pictures it seems the Aygo would be a bit smaller, either way it should still get the interest of folks already interested in the iA.

·
Registered
73 Posts
now I wonder then how these two will coexist..
I'm pretty sure the iX / Aygo is very small, like the size of a Fiat 500.

It's also sold as the Peugeot 108 overseas...

In cabriolet form too! A Scion iX cabrio could be the Scion brand's first convertible. You'd think such a "youthful" brand would have offered a convertible by now...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't know about a convertible, it might thin out their efforts to much, unless of course they see strong initial sales that help in justifying opening a wider range of options.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I don't see a convertible happening. If it happened to any vehicle it would be the FR-S.

The iX/Aygo is Scion's replacement for the now discontinued iQ. There will be a bit of cross shopping between the iX and iA, but the two are still fairly different vehicles in terms of size and body style.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I don't see a convertible happening. If it happened to any vehicle it would be the FR-S.

The iX/Aygo is Scion's replacement for the now discontinued iQ. There will be a bit of cross shopping between the iX and iA, but the two are still fairly different vehicles in terms of size and body style.
Because there currently is not a convertible FR-S, offering an FR-S convertible would entail substantial engineering costs.

Meanwhile, a convertible iX, as the Peugeot 108, has already been designed and engineered. It would make more sense that they fast-track that version to Scion dealerships rather than engineer a brand new vehicle.

And I wouldn't be surprised if the iX sells in higher volumes than the FR-S, so it would also make more sense to offer a convertible version of the better selling vehicle.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Convertible top iX also makes sense since I can imagine the type of buyer that would buy this, similar to Fiat 500 carbio owners, would love to have this. Plus it could help allocate those interested in compact cars that want something more out of them which this offers to it.

·
Registered
370 Posts
After seeing what color options for the iM was like and some for the iA, that color sure seems to be what would fit the Scion profile.

·
Registered
73 Posts
After seeing what color options for the iM was like and some for the iA, that color sure seems to be what would fit the Scion profile.

Exactly. That car in that blue color seems like a no-brainer to import as a Scion. Come on Toyota!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts