Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Truth About Cars did a review of a European-Spec Mazda2, equipped with the same 1.5-liter SkyActiv engine the iA will be getting, giving their feedback on performance:

Let’s start with the engine first. As I already mentioned, my press loaner was powered with the least powerful, least sophisticated version of the 1.5 SkyActive four-cylinder. It lacks the trick 4-2-1 headers, crazy compression ratio and – on paper – it looks seriously underpowered. Compared to both superminis I drove before and after the Mazda2 (the aforementioned Fabia 1.2 TSI and Corsa 1.0 Turbo), its 75 hp seems almost like a joke.

Trust me, it isn’t. Having driven a few cars with N/A engines neutered by EU5 emission standards lately, I started to think that turbocharging is the only remaining way to go. Mazda proved me (and probably many others) wrong. There is nothing neutered about this engine. Thanks to its large displacement (for a base engine in an EU-market supermini), it’s not lacking torque in the low range, and it somehow keeps the rev-happy characteristics of a classic Japanese four-pot. I’ve never been a great fan of revvy four-cylinders and I actually like the diesel version of Mazda6 more than the gasoline one, but the four-banger in the Mazda2 is a delight. I found myself revving it right to the redline just for fun and, of course, sometimes out of necessity because 75 hp isn’t really much. That’s not to say the 2 is unbearably slow. On the contrary, it was much quicker than I expected and at normal pace it was perfectly fine. I was surprised by its ability to overtake at A-road speeds (around 60-65 mph in CZ), as well as its relative stability and bearability near the top speed of about 110 mph.
full review: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2015/05/2016-mazda2-european-review/

·
Registered
73 Posts
These remarks are most welcome, thanks for posting. I'm looking forward to giving this engine a whirl!

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm glad to hear that the engine should be not a total bore. I'm not looking for a speed machine, but its nice to feel a little power at your toes when you are behind the wheel. Will the Scion iA be identical to the Mazda2 in terms of driving and performance?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Not sure what they changed if anything was changed, sometimes it's things we don't discover till we start looking for general maintenance parts or inspection along those lines.
what I'm saying is its probabaly the same 100 hp mill we had from Mazda last year.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Any changes they make to the engine will bring on minimal changes, nothing noticeable im guessing.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Anyone know the minimum octane rating for this engine? Does it require premium? My last car required premium gas and it was always such a drag when it came time to refuel the car.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It should take regular, would be a horrible call on their part if they made premium fuel on a cheap compact a requirement since it's what will discourage folks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts