Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, anyone know how many miles I should bring my car in for oil changes/maintenance? The owners manual doesn't give a clear number from what I could tell.

Also what else should be done regularly/checked besides oil maintenance and how often? After the the scions free maintenance thing wears out, I'm going to have to do stuff myself more often.

I'm approaching 10k miles on mine with all my commuting. Around 41.1 mpg so far. It's awesome!

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Per the owner's manual:

Your vehicle has 0W-20 synthetic oil and a flexible oil monitoring system that indicates it’s time to change your engine oil and oil filter. The flexible oil monitor light will illuminate every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. The flexible oil monitor light may illuminate earlier, depending on your driving conditions. Customers who elect to turn off the oil monitoring system should replace the engine oil and oil filter every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Per the owner's manual:

Your vehicle has 0W-20 synthetic oil and a flexible oil monitoring system that indicates it’s time to change your engine oil and oil filter. The flexible oil monitor light will illuminate every 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever occurs first. The flexible oil monitor light may illuminate earlier, depending on your driving conditions. Customers who elect to turn off the oil monitoring system should replace the engine oil and oil filter every 7,500 miles or 6 months, whichever occurs first.
So if you elect to go 7500/6months between changes, will you get your first four changes free as part of your two years of service?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Are any of you considering changing your oil earlier? Some people I know do this with vehicles they plan on keeping a while since it seems these high oil change intervals pushes oil to its 'breaking point' before being changed.

·
Registered
143 Posts
6 months for synthetics is usually a fine interval and I've never experienced any issues with other cars I've run synthetic oil in.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Are any of you considering changing your oil earlier? Some people I know do this with vehicles they plan on keeping a while since it seems these high oil change intervals pushes oil to its 'breaking point' before being changed.
I don't think it is going to hurt but at the same time I don't really think you are going to get many benefits.

·
Registered
204 Posts
In order to keep my extended warranty (20 years/200k miles) the dealership requires 6 months/5k miles... But they're also covering the first 50k maintenance and I'm trading it in at ~55k so I won't have to pay for the extra maintenance plus at that point I'll be tired of the car (I'll have it for a year... Never owned a car that long before... Personal record was 9 months/67k miles... Beat my grandfathers record by a long shot though, guess it runs in the family lol). Your call, but personally I'd do 7500 miles if not more if I were paying for the maintenance. Both the engines and the oils are made better nowadays, they last longer with less maintenance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts