Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always driven a car under the Toyota umbrella including Lexus (all hand me downs), and I'm looking for something new and affordable.

Before signing my name on anything and leasing something for a few years, I want to know why current chose to go with the Scion iA. Likes and dislikes, before making a final decision.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've got quite a story for how/why I got the iA:

Tl;dr: Was going to buy used Acura car from uncle's friend for $3,000 but it got sold before we responded. Checked out Hyundai Elantra base model with tech package that the salesman agreed to sell to us for $17,000 but we wanted a grey one instead of the red one. Salesman was fucking stupid and pulled out grey car that did not have Tech Package. We stormed the **** out of Hyundai dealership and went to good ol' trust Toyota which was less hassle and less bullshit than Hyundai and got the iA for $17,000 out-the-door price during the July 4th special rebate thingy. Love my baby more more with each passing day.

My uncle knew someone who was selling his Acura (I didn't know the year or model, just knew that it was a 4-door sedan) and he called the guy at the start of summer this past year. He said he'd sell it for $3000. My mom wanted to wait until it was closer to the end of the summer/when school starts so we didn't get back to the seller for over 2 months. By the time we contacted him again, he had already sold it. My aunt asked me one day if I could have any car from any brand, which would I choose? I said Toyota. So after we found out the guy with the Acura sold his car, my aunt just said "Let's just go check out a Corolla next weekend since you said you chose Toyota." And off we went that weekend, going from dealership to dealership. First, it was Nissan but we all thought their cars looked butt-ugly, especially the Versa. Then we went to Hyundai and I got to test drive the 2017 Elantra base model with the Tech Package. The sales guy agreed to sell it to use for $17,000 before destination fees. I think $17000 for a base model Elantra with the tech package would've been about $20,000 so I was pretty set on buying that car. However, my mom wasn't there that weekend cause she had to work so we told the sales guy that we'll buy it next weekend and we asked him if he had the exact configuration (base model 2017 Elantra with the back up camera, bluetooth, infotainment system, and push-button start) but in grey. He said yes. After that, despite me being dead-set on buying the Elantra, my aunt wanted to go check out what Toyota had since we were planning on going there anyways. We asked one of the sales guys to show us the 2016 Corolla in grey and he went to go pull one out. He came back and told us the car had been sitting too long so it wouldn't start so but he said he wanted to show us the Scion iA (he said Scion will be dead in a month but Toyota will rebadge the Scion iA as the "Corolla iA" which he obviously meant the iM but whatever). At first, I didn't like the looks of it, thought it was small, weak engine, but was a pretty good car for a first time buyer and student. We told him we'd think about it.

So the next weekend comes along and we all go back to the Hyundai dealership with my mom this time. The salesman takes 45 minutes looking all around the (small) car lot trying to find the Elantra in grey. He finally comes back and shows us 2 different shades of grey for the car, a dark grey and a lighter grey. We look at the dark grey one but it was literally the bare bones base model. No back up camera. No push button start. No infotainment system. My uncle gets pissed and I tell him this isn't the car he promised us so he shows us the other one. This one had a back up camera but no push button start, again, not the fucking car we were promised. At this point, my uncle is fuming because the salesman is either 1. fucking stupid, or 2. trying to scam us. It may have been a bit of both. My uncle stormed off the lot and the guy said they probably have the exact car we were promised but in grey, for real. I told him my uncle had to go to work soon so we don't have time to waste. I told him we'll be back tomorrow. We all knew we wouldn't. The next day, I called the Toyota guy to tell him we'll be coming later that afternoon for the iA. By the time we got there, he got the car, in Graphite, all washed up and fueled up. All we had to do was sign the paper work. Granted, paperwork still took nearly 3 hours since buying a car is probably the second biggest investment in your life, right behind buying a house. The guy pulled up all the info on his computer screen which we all could see because it was pinned up against a wall and the screen itself was huge. He showed us warranties, price, info on the car itself, blah blah. Everything was just smoother and simpler at the Toyota dealership. So after we were almost done signing everything, my uncle goes in to check out the car and hears a rattling noise coming from the A/C. He asks me to ask the salesman what that was (no one in my family speaks English so I had to translate everything). He says it's probably just because the A/C hasn't been turned on for a while but he gets a mechanic from the maintenance crew to check it out. I don't know what they found out but the salesman told us they'll go grab a new car instead because "that's not how [we] do business here. Other places will just make you take the car as is but [we] don't do that here." So he goes to get another car washed and fueled up, which was about an hour wait. Afterwards, he handed us the keys, spare keys, and the Scion first-aid kit with the User's Guide. We were ready to go and I drove my baby home. All in all, **** Hyundai and I completely understand why my aunt, uncle, other uncle, and all of their friends got Toyotas from that specific Toyota dealership. It was less of a hassle and less bullshit (but not no bullshit) compared to the other dealerships we were at.

Also, I mentioned how I didn't like the way the car looked, didn't like that it was small, didn't like that it had no power, but I'm over it. This little one is quite fun to drive and I've come to love Mazda designs and the iA, in terms of looks, is just a smaller Mazda3 with a weird grille. I don't care as much about the small cabin since I rarely ever carry over 2 people in my car anyways, and the back up camera is in the perfect position and the wide view is awesome. It's a great little car and honestly, if any first time buyer is looking for a small, reliable car, the Yaris iA is my #1 suggestion since it's got a lot and is probably more reliable than American brands.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah for me it was kinda of an impulse buy I usually do more research and contemplating on cars idk what happened with this one. I don't like it if i could go back of get a jetta or ilx

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm guessing you're not a fan of the Scion iA bluelinelife.
I think it's great, pretty much a fully loaded Mazda and a fun guppy grille to go along with it.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It's just between the issues with my dealer and the car and sometimes I feel cramped inside. idk it's really my fault for not thinking about it longer

·
Registered
19 Posts
Many things
Price (incentives and discounts)
6 speed auto
Mazda styling and handling
Safety ratings (have a 1 year old)
Mpg
Inclusive features not available in pretty much any other price range

Only issues we have with it so far is that it's a tight fit (expected) with a massive car seat, no arm rest, and that my right knee rests on some hard as **** plastic when relaxed driving on the highway.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought it cause it was inexpensive and wanted something light and nimble. Cars keep getting bigger, heavier with each passing year and I missed the small light cars from 20-30 years ago. Bought it and love it. Handles well, great on gas, can drive it like you stole it. Is well equipped for a subcompact and should be dependable. Big enough for my needs of 1-2 adults and the occasional child in back. Trunk huge for car of it's size. Just a great little car that is rewarding to drive. Biggest downside is power. Adequate but struggles as people and cargo are added. Those used to big engined or turbo vehicles must realize it's a small engine that needs to rev for power. Full throttle needed for interstate onramps.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts