Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think its a valid question. Yes the iA wins on price in the segment, but as Autoblog points out while great dynmaics may of been a saving grace for the iA vs more 'luxurious' rivals from Ford and Hyundai, without those its simply a cheap car...

Where the Scion iA should set itself apart is from behind the wheel. But unfortunately, that isn't totally the case. It's really no better than a Fiesta in terms of driver engagement, and Ford offers a lot more stuff to attract buyers. The same can be said about the Hyundai Accent, Kia Rio, Chevy Sonic, and so on.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/06/29/2016-scion-ia-first-drive-review/

·
Registered
422 Posts
It's not exactly full of tech stuff and we know that that is a high priority for the young people that Scion is targeting. The price however is quite enticing for that generation. It's a bit of a catch 22. I think that many might be willing to shell out some more cash for some extra tech bits, but since that's not possible with the Scion iA, I guess they will be heading elsewhere to get their tech fix.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not exactly full of tech stuff and we know that that is a high priority for the young people that Scion is targeting. The price however is quite enticing for that generation. It's a bit of a catch 22. I think that many might be willing to shell out some more cash for some extra tech bits, but since that's not possible with the Scion iA, I guess they will be heading elsewhere to get their tech fix.
Get this out of your head, Young people is a euphemism for not as affluent. Whenever you hear a maker tout young people you can bet full stop the majority of buyers will be in their 40's and 50's.

This is the type of car I could see a grandmother in, if it came with a semblance of content... Grandma doesn't care about dynamics...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I mean most young people aren't as affluent. I do agree that it doesn't mean that young people will buy it to the exclusion of older people, but Scion is targeting younger people who tend to have more limited incomes. They have said so openly.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I mean most young people aren't as affluent. I do agree that it doesn't mean that young people will buy it to the exclusion of older people, but Scion is targeting younger people who tend to have more limited incomes. They have said so openly.
I don't care what they said, I'm talking about WHO buys their cars. Scion can say they're selling thier cars to Martians and Beluga Whales doesn't mean either of their target demos are going to spend a cent.

Honda said the Element was for mountainbikers, kayakers, campers and other XTRM!!! youth oriented activities. It was all hard plastic, styled like a shoebox, priced like one too... You know who bought it, seniors because it was great for antiquing...

You don't get to be who you said you are because you said you were, action is what defines identity. To date Scions actions say middle aged...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I think its interesting to know what the company was thinking about when making the vehicle. THey imagine a customer and then tailer the vehicle to that archetype. I don't care too much who actually buys it after that.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think its interesting to know what the company was thinking about when making the vehicle. THey imagine a customer and then tailer the vehicle to that archetype. I don't care too much who actually buys it after that.
thats too bad, its fascinating insight into demographic mindsets. You don't find it interesting that idealized youth pitches seem to pander to the middle aged? And youth ends up looking backwards at cars built before they were born?

I'm of the opinion that the auto industry is pure marketing, the absolute embodiment of the practice...

·
Registered
370 Posts
This was just posted, turns out the iA is offered with collision avoidance standard, I'm not for certain but I think that might be segment exclusive?? http://www.scioniaforum.com/forum/2...1234-scion-ia-avoids-collisions-standard.html
he believes the feature has value that resonates with the target demographic
^ That's exactly it, people want in on this new safety tech and don't want to feel as if they're getting less of a vehicle in comparison to the masses getting higher segment vehicles that have it.

Takes away one more thing that could discourage people.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts