Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying a used Scion iA - looking at the market right now just curious. Probably buy one when it drops to around 10k.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hi guys,

I'm interested in buying a used Scion iA - looking at the market right now just curious. Probably buy one when it drops to around 10k.
The price of the iA will never increase ever... despite what we would like to think. It is a nice vehicle and will be unique for those of us who choose to hang onto for awhile. It will be several years before one can purchase a used Scion iA for 10K IMO. The reason I feel like this is after it becomes Toyota it will cost more no doubt. After a few more years when it becomes real to most that the car is an awesome value when purchased New, it will retain a respected price. After all what can anyone really get for 10K? Not much:crying: My bet is you will move on well before it becomes a 10K car...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Is he asking whether we think the price of the Scion iA at a lot will drop to 10K? I doubt it. I mean, maybe you can wait it out and see, but I bet people will be moving on them before it gets there.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do you guys know if there's big changes from Scion iA to Toyota iA? Only grip I have is with the headlights I hate the reflectors... even halogen would be better. :[. That's my only fault everything else about the car I like. I'm inquiring my dealers to see the price. Is there a price page people got there's (not OTD) i'll search afterward lol :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Do you guys know if there's big changes from Scion iA to Toyota iA? Only grip I have is with the headlights I hate the reflectors... even halogen would be better. :[. That's my only fault everything else about the car I like. I'm inquiring my dealers to see the price. Is there a price page people got there's (not OTD) i'll search afterward lol :)
Check out the Toyota Yaris iA in Canada. It comes in two trim levels, and will be what the Scion iA becomes in the US. The reason I went out and got the Scion iA now, is because you essentially get everything the top trim has in the Toyota iA (minus, heated seats and fog lights, I believe). Look into the Yaris iA and see if the top trim has what you want...because it might be more worthwhile to wait.

As for asking dealers pricing via internet. In my car shopping I found it EXTREMELY hard to get a quote from a dealership. They play it so you have to come in and ask. Shop around and see if you can get any difference in listed prices online, but I'd be surprised if you find a dealership who will quote you a lower price online. I found a lower price listed online (on their site, I didn't have to email them for this), then took it to the local dealership and they matched it. I spent a lot of time avoiding the dealership, but if you're wanting to get a lower price, it's gonna be easiest if you're direct with them and deal with them in person. Don't ask for thousands off, but I don't think "Pure price" is a thing anymore, so you can ask for some money off.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the Toyota Yaris iA in Canada. It comes in two trim levels, and will be what the Scion iA becomes in the US. The reason I went out and got the Scion iA now, is because you essentially get everything the top trim has in the Toyota iA (minus, heated seats and fog lights, I believe). Look into the Yaris iA and see if the top trim has what you want...because it might be more worthwhile to wait.

As for asking dealers pricing via internet. In my car shopping I found it EXTREMELY hard to get a quote from a dealership. They play it so you have to come in and ask. Shop around and see if you can get any difference in listed prices online, but I'd be surprised if you find a dealership who will quote you a lower price online. I found a lower price listed online (on their site, I didn't have to email them for this), then took it to the local dealership and they matched it. I spent a lot of time avoiding the dealership, but if you're wanting to get a lower price, it's gonna be easiest if you're direct with them and deal with them in person. Don't ask for thousands off, but I don't think "Pure price" is a thing anymore, so you can ask for some money off.
Thanks doing that now!

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think that for what you get with this car in the U.S. as standard equipment the car is a huge bargain. I was all gung-ho today to drive out west to Colorado to buy my iA and the salesmen called my cellphone. Not good because my wife feels like I'm way out of line shopping for a new car of any kind right now due to us owing more on our '11 Kia Soul 5-speed than it's worth. She literally hit the roof in anger. I'm still shell-shocked from it and have decided that, although I want a 2016 Scion iA, I want to stay married to my wife even more.

It really sucks because they're only asking $14,395 for a 6-speed manual Stealth iA. I will pass on Nav. and just use Google Maps. Totally bummed right now. The Soul is worth about $8000-8500 private sale but we owe $10,500. And dealers offer less than private sale. So, I don't know if I don't try and they'd need to take a look at my trade-in, but it looks hopeless right now. Those of you who already have your iA's enjoy them and don't take them for granted!

By the time the negative equity is rolled in it would make the price of my iA about $16,395. Add all the tax, lic.,tags, the $795 dealer prep. and the cost of the loan and our OTD price would be around $18,000 - $19,000. Say the total of all the costs is $20,000 and I decide ta go 72 months on the loan, our payment would be $277.77. I would actually go for it but she's acting like we'd be goin' through the Big D and I don't mean Dallas, so...there we are. I'm screwed.

I do like my '11 Kia Soul. We pay only $256.03 for 3 1/2 more years on our note for that car. Crap - $20 a month more for the iA is very do-able to me. Might just have to put my foot down and do it anyway. >:)

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think that for what you get with this car in the U.S. as standard equipment the car is a huge bargain. I was all gung-ho today to drive out west to Colorado to buy my iA and the salesmen called my cellphone. Not good because my wife feels like I'm way out of line shopping for a new car of any kind right now due to us owing more on our '11 Kia Soul 5-speed than it's worth. She literally hit the roof in anger. I'm still shell-shocked from it and have decided that, although I want a 2016 Scion iA, I want to stay married to my wife even more.

It really sucks because they're only asking $14,395 for a 6-speed manual Stealth iA. I will pass on Nav. and just use Google Maps. Totally bummed right now. The Soul is worth about $8000-8500 private sale but we owe $10,500. And dealers offer less than private sale. So, I don't know if I don't try and they'd need to take a look at my trade-in, but it looks hopeless right now. Those of you who already have your iA's enjoy them and don't take them for granted!

By the time the negative equity is rolled in it would make the price of my iA about $16,395. Add all the tax, lic.,tags, the $795 dealer prep. and the cost of the loan and our OTD price would be around $18,000 - $19,000. Say the total of all the costs is $20,000 and I decide ta go 72 months on the loan, our payment would be $277.77. I would actually go for it but she's acting like we'd be goin' through the Big D and I don't mean Dallas, so...there we are. I'm screwed.

I do like my '11 Kia Soul. We pay only $256.03 for 3 1/2 more years on our note for that car. Crap - $20 a month more for the iA is very do-able to me. Might just have to put my foot down and do it anyway. >:)
14,395 the lowest the willing to go manual? what about the auto :]

·
Registered
97 Posts
They're selling the auto's for $15,495. I went to Denver yesterday and a half hour before I got there they sold their only manual iA. So the salesman said they'd go get another one for me and I call him back on Monday morning. Well, my wife doesn't want me to get a new car, even though these iA's are being sold fire sale. She won't listen to me explain my plan for paying it off quicker or any details about the car either. So I'm gonna be bowing out of this dance. It was fun while it lasted. Giant buzz kill.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're selling the auto's for $15,495. I went to Denver yesterday and a half hour before I got there they sold their only manual iA. So the salesman said they'd go get another one for me and I call him back on Monday morning. Well, my wife doesn't want me to get a new car, even though these iA's are being sold fire sale. She won't listen to me explain my plan for paying it off quicker or any details about the car either. So I'm gonna be bowing out of this dance. It was fun while it lasted. Giant buzz kill.
Somtimes you just gotta, sell the wife :laugh:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Point Qualified!

The price of the iA will never increase ever... despite what we would like to think. It is a nice vehicle and will be unique for those of us who choose to hang onto for awhile. It will be several years before one can purchase a used Scion iA for 10K IMO. The reason I feel like this is after it becomes Toyota it will cost more no doubt. After a few more years when it becomes real to most that the car is an awesome value when purchased New, it will retain a respected price. After all what can anyone really get for 10K? Not much:crying: My bet is you will move on well before it becomes a 10K car...
http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-resale-value-awards/best-resale-subcompact-car/

·
Registered
172 Posts
Scion iA, to toyota yaris. Same exact car. Different badging

·
Registered
22 Posts

I'm late to the party but perhaps she'll meet you halfway with a Honda Fit? It's a hatchback just like your Kia but in a smaller iA-like package and better gas mileage than the Kia but almost as good gas mileage as the iA. Btw, I recommend the manual stick-shift version if you were to get a Fit and to stay away from their CVT transmissions.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I think the value of a Scion will stay the same as a value of a Toyota or any Toyota product. Because that's what a Scion is, a Toyota but with a different label. Scions are made in the same factories as Toyota's. Although my specific iA is built with a Mazda engine in it, I don't know if all iA's did but it seems like a joint-venture between Toyota and Mazda which I'm okay with because I like Mazda. And i even like Mazda's more than Honda's. Although my iA was Made in Mexico unlike Mazda's which are Made in Japan. Just look at the label on the driver's side door. Or lookup your VIN at vindecorderz.com Japanese cars are best when Made in Japan vs elsewhere. USA made Japanese cars are okay, Canadian made Japanese cars are okay. Made in Mexico cars, not quite as good as Made in USA or Canada. Products Made in Mexico in general aren't that great, IMHO. However my friend has a 2018 Made in Mexico Toyota Tacoma crew cab that seems nice and is serving him well. Interestingly, his wife said she liked his Made in USA 2007 Tacoma better though, and I don't think she's aware that the older one was Made in USA and the new one is Made in Mexico.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi guys,

The original poster is still waiting! I just looked up 16 Scion iAs with less than 30,000 miles and found 7 nationwide with an average price of $11,000.

Summer of 2016 was the perfect time to buy the iA. It was 3 years before the dealer price of a low miles used iA dropped to the price I paid in June 2016.

The iA has held its value extremely well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The original poster is still waiting! I just looked up 16 Scion iAs with less than 30,000 miles and found 7 nationwide with an average price of $11,000.

Summer of 2016 was the perfect time to buy the iA. It was 3 years before the dealer price of a low miles used iA dropped to the price I paid in June 2016.

The iA has held its value extremely well.
I bought mine for $9100 used, clean title, 2 previous nearby owners. All it needed was an A/C leaking hose replaced ($300 job) and i'm trying to get the dealer to repair the three small cracks it has on the windshield. They keep saying they'll call me when they can do it but i'm nervous because the AZ no fault warranty legal minimum is 15-days/200 miles whichever comes first and this Wednesday is my last day. I haven't been driving it for that reason, it's sitting in my garage.

Idk what the MSRP of mine is, $15k? Had i not gone on a spending spree in 2020 i could've bought one New with whatever i want on it. Do they still make the stick-shift version of it? I know the Honda Fit discontinued theirs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought mine for $9100 used, clean title, 2 previous nearby owners. All it needed was an A/C leaking hose replaced ($300 job) and i'm trying to get the dealer to repair the three small cracks it has on the windshield. They keep saying they'll call me when they can do it but i'm nervous because the AZ no fault warranty legal minimum is 15-days/200 miles whichever comes first and this Wednesday is my last day. I haven't been driving it for that reason, it's sitting in my garage.

Idk what the MSRP of mine is, $15k? Had i not gone on a spending spree in 2020 i could've bought one New with whatever i want on it. Do they still make the stick-shift version of it? I know the Honda Fit discontinued theirs.
I believe they stopped selling the Mazda based Yaris in 2020. According to CarGurus, there are two left in the country with a manual. (other sites may find more) they are priced at 17,040 and 18,613 and are in North and South Carolina.

Sounds like you got a good deal even if you end up paying for the windshield repair. By the way, if the windshield needs to be replaced, the electronics will likely need to be reset as well.

I couldn't imagine buying a new car and not driving it for 2 weeks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts