Scion IA Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Toyota is preparing an assault on the youth demographic and by youth they mean under 40.

No matter, Toyota calls the car in question the S-FR, which stands for Small, Front Engine, Rear Drive, its the size of a Toyota Yaris and they kinda want to build it.

Toyota is hoping that a sub $15,000 MSRP, attractive, classic styling and excellent dynamics are enough to lure a younger buyer to the showroom, even if he happens to be 35.

Toyota says the S-FR project has been designed to offer “smooth, responsive and direct handling that gives a real sense of communication between car and driver.” That goes along with a vision of tuning and customization, if Toyota does send the S-FR we expect it to reach North America as a Scion.

Of course the question always comes down to cost of production. Yes Toyota is the master of production systems but their mastery simply cannot support a product that will not sell. Toyota will be carting the S-FR to autoshows around the globe looking for feedback from consumers, if its healthy enough they'll build it, if not they won't.

First they need a crossover, but what do you think, would the S-FR have sales legs if sold as a Scion in North America?

·
Registered
206 Posts
I hope they bring it to North America - but really, I hope they should bring it as a Toyota. Toyota really needs to develop something sporty in their lineup and I think this is too close to the FRS to be a Scion...

....Or they can take the FRS a bit more upscale as a Toyota and make this SFR a Scion (since its lower priced). :shrug:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I dont like the look, too alfa/TVR looking to me...but as for the scion thing, i doubt it. Toyota brand needs that car in my opinion, at 25 i wouldnt buy it, i can see older guys buying it haha

·
Registered
211 Posts

I really like the looks of the S-FR, maybe with a smaller mouth but it still looks great. Wouldn't mind if it came out under Toyota for more trim options unlike Scion. Either way I'll remove the emblem.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The way i see it, this vehicle would be better sold as a scion all thoughtout north america, much like what they FR-S had done.

I'd say sell it under toyota but at this point with what they want to do with Scion, that's not happening.

·
Registered
422 Posts
It doesn't look like a Toyota to me. It feels like it should be a Scion. It kinda fits the off-beat quirky thing that Scion has going on.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I hope they bring it to North America - but really, I hope they should bring it as a Toyota. Toyota really needs to develop something sporty in their lineup and I think this is too close to the FRS to be a Scion...

....Or they can take the FRS a bit more upscale as a Toyota and make this SFR a Scion (since its lower priced). :shrug:
Toyota will get the Supra ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts