Scion IA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am interested in the iA. Admittedly, it was a fun car to test drive and I am nearly obsessed with good MPGs.

Trouble is, out kind of large Recaro Car Seat when placed in the back was quite a tight fit. Our 3 year old had so little space. His legs had no wear to move.

We have a second one on the way. In the beginning things won't be real tight, when she graduates to his seat, and he gets a Booster... we are kind of at square one on the one side in back that is tight (likely the passenger front seat side will get the "big" car seat.

This seat fits GREAT in our Forester. Until they are older, I won't be taking a lot of big road trips with this car with the kids. Later, I will. For now the Forester will cover our needs and I can switch cars with my wife as needed.

Has anyone had luck with car seats, certain ones, that fit well in back and might make this car worth seriously considering?

I am considering a base Soul by Kia, because it is similar in price. I just don't want the fuel economy or lack of technology features. Otherwise it is a great roomy car.

Thanks!

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey DJ,

The ia is not for you my friend. It truly is a nightmare having people in the back seat, even kids... Add in car seats... You can forget it... You already stated your 3 yr old has so little space.. Imagine another car seat and how fast they are going to grow.... Most couples I know tend to have car seats in each car since its so inconvenient to constantly move seats back and forth... So if your okay with limited space, where your family will constantly feel like everyone is in each other faces all the time... for better mpg and tech.. Go for it..

IMO, ia doesn't have any special tech to it.. Honestly, I don't even know its there at this point... The only thing i could think of tech wise that the ia has is the low speed pre collision system, but honestly its such a gimmick... Don't get me wrong it works but just pay attention when your driving and there isn't any need for it..

Bottom line the ia isn't a family car..

I would seriously consider getting the soul. It is more practical for families...

But if your dead set on the ia.. Consider the Mazda 3. Its the same car if you didn't know, just roomier... Get a used one... 2014- current year... there aren't any major changes.. You can get a premium one with leather seats, heat seats, bose speakers, nav already included weather floor mats... for 12-13k before tax/fees... But if you want a new base model... then negotiate for model end year Mazda 3 2017, you could get one for about the same price of the ia... Just remember to shop around, meaning don't rush into it, and negotiate...

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I like the 3. My fave 3's were the old Protege wagon a few generations ago, I liked it's size. The new ones seem pretty large. But with a back up camera, it would not be so bad. I will admit, I LIKE smaller cars. My 92 VW Golf GTI is like the perfect size. I guess I could add a back up camera to the Soul I can afford at Car Toys.

But a Mazda 3 with heated seats/the one thing the iA lacked and the Soul unless you go way up lacks as well (I wonder what package at minimum I would need on the 3?) they would be Nice.

I can get a new iA for $13,800 OTD. A very reasonable amount, I think. And.. I like it A LOT. I am a good negotiator, I should try my Hand at Mazda. However, my max is 14k. Max.

But you make important points.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I honestly, love small cars too..

Just to clarify, you will have to go up trim levels for the nice features on the 3 as well, im not too sure what each trim level has...

Fyi the Mazda 3 are going for around 16.5K right now, most likely lower since this style of car isn't that popular anymore.... Last 6 months has not been good for this segment of cars... Also.... Mazda manufacture incentive has a 2.5k bonus cash offer for buyers who are going to get the model end year.. 2017... So the best price out the door for the Mazda 3 is at your max budget of 14K... But like I said, these cars aren't hot anymore... So I wouldn't be surprise if you got it for less than 13.8k.. I'm not talking just base model, upper trims as well.. Price around and negotiate....

If you like the Ia a lot, you will like the 3 for sure.... And it would be better, its slightly bigger... still considered a small car... You will get accustomed to it my friend... and your family wouldn't complain about the space as much compared to the ia... Trust... its only going to get more annoying with limited space, no one is going to get use to it...

As for the backup camera, you could always add one yourself, its less than 30 dollars. Look up Scotty Kilmer on YouTube, he does do it your self guides....

Keep us updated!!

·
Registered
98 Posts
One for thing,

I would seriously consider the 3 versus the soul..

The soul is a hot car right now, which leaves little room for negotiating.

Where as the 3, you have 2.5K manufacture incentive for model end year 2017, its not a hot car right now, so you have more room to negotiating

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, I looked into it. I really don't want a car as big as the 3.

My wife has a Forester so when we need real room, we have her car. Some flexibility. The main thing I want is to be at least "able" to safely transport the kids in a car with the best possible fuel economy under 14 grand OTD. I am hoping to locate the best car seats.

I almost bought a Mirage for $10,800. Then this iA came up, it was way more fun, for $3000 more ( I cringed a little, but seeing I will have it a LONG time? ).. and I kind of think it is a better bet.

The Soul just gets 32 mpg, which is really much lower than I feel okay with. I think in town, the way I drive, I can get 40+ mpg out of the iA. Likely over 50 on the highway as I drive 55 mph. Things I know the car I get: Must get 40+ mpg, be under 14k New, have 4 doors, good reputation, and be somewhat fun to drive.

I really don't want anything used. I have had nothing but Used my entire life, and there's always something Wrong soon after I bought them. As cool as a 14' Mazda 3 with lots of options might be. If I could get anything I wanted, I would go for the new Chevrolet Bolt. But that is over 20 grand. I would get a Subaru if they had a new Justy with 4 doors ;)

The Soul was a close Buy. Trouble is that terrible (to me) MPG, and no back up camera is Stock. Otherwise, that would be My car. Currently, I can buy a Base one for $14,400 OTD. Or, $800 more than the iA, and they "require" I finance through Kia to get the deal (super bogus). And I would need to have a place like Car Toys add the back Up Camera for $400+. Kinda just want to pick up the iA and be Done.

If I can make the back seat "work" for the 2 car seats. The kids will be Grown in 1 yr and 4 yrs enough that there won't be any car seats any longer at that point. I drive maybe 5-7k a year. I will have this car for at least 15 years unless I decide to get an EV soon.

I really want 4 doors, fun easy to park, and under 14k brand new.

·
Registered
98 Posts
When it comes to fun cars with great mpg, yes the ia cant be beat. Also, it is a top safety pick by the IIHS... So pretty dam good..

My current commutes are highway avg of 70 mph, currently getting 40-43 mpg... Pretty dam nice to fill up the tank with around 20-25 dollars. Range is about 460, sometime more/less, depending on how my right foot wants to feel for the day..

Should of told them Yes, I'll finance, at 0 apr for 60 months, sure why not... Go ahead and throw in 5 additional years of full coverage maintenance at no cost... LOL...

As for the car seats, couldn't help there... Don't have kids, but from what I see, most are all pretty big for the baby's safety of course... especially if you have one of those where it can be eventually used as a booster.

FYI, currently for 2017 IAs there is a 2K case bonus incentive from the manufacturer... So that means you can get a brand new Ia for less than 13.8K... That a steal!!! Go for it my friend..

Keep us updated...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To break things up a bit.. I looked up the 2017 Kia Forte 6 speed manual. Seems like under 12 grand with a stick shift could be an option. Lots of space. Still seems to achieve over 35 in the city if you don't push it and over 45 mpg on the highway if you keep it under 65 mph as well.

I actually liked the base Kia Rio pretty well. Just was not sure I could deal with no power door locks, no back up camera, no blue tooth.. and the manual windows? I am okay with them. But at $10,800, it was a great deal. Just fumbling with manual locks on a 4 door is a RPITA.

I will cruise by the Kia dealer to see the asking $12,500 and change one, see if there is better deals on it, further dickering upon driving it, and see if I like it. I would need to get the back up camera installed (probably Car Toys) and simply go GPS over having the Navigation the iA has. Otherwise it has the power door locks, windows, etc. I think I would also need ot add cruise control (if I found it desirable). But there is aftermarket sources for like $90 and then pay someone to install it.

The iA is more my kind of car. It just is. I am a little car dude. I had a turbo Chevrolet Sprint from 93-2010 along with my still owned 92 VW GTI 16v. The size of these cars is so Handy. Easy to squeeze into tight spots.

I don't see much inventory on any stick shift Mazda 3's. I sincerely doubt the Mazda 3 will be avail below 14k?

I want the best long term car in the reliability and in the economy/cost of ownership dept. Curious how the iA and the Forte would differ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Too Generic. Too Big. I am dealing with a small seat if I buy a new car. Unless the Soul suddenly gets more affordable by $800+. I might relook at it. But I really want 40+ MPG.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Local Dealer had a white Soul for just a little over 13k. Base model. Perfectly good car. But I am not sure I want one.
I really wanted a back up camera and better MPG.

The Toyota dealer has a left over iM. $15,700. A little out of budget, similar to the price of a stripped Mazda 3, maybe slightly lower. But who knows they could sell even lower now, it has been 3 weeks and it is still there. I just did not like the poor rear vision. Cars today Suck. They have such sloped rooflines and tiny rear windows.

My old school 92 MK2 GTI just got a new timing belt and engine seals. New front wheel bearing. New brake fluid. Oil change. $1000 later, it should serve me a while.

I will wait and see if more Mazda 3's come up end of year if I don't buy the iA or iM. There is not any base ones.

I even looked into a base Subaru Impreza, way too much.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hey Kenny, you should think about how much your willing to spend on the vehicles. Do your research, Edmunds, true car, Kelly blue book etc... What I do is take 15% off the book value and give that number to a sales man with my contact number and tell them to give me a call if they are willing to meet that number... regardless of there excuses, If they aren't I walk...

Local Dealer had a white Soul for just a little over 13k. Base model. Perfectly good car. But I am not sure I want one.
I really wanted a back up camera and better MPG.

The Toyota dealer has a left over iM. $15,700. A little out of budget, similar to the price of a stripped Mazda 3, maybe slightly lower. But who knows they could sell even lower now, it has been 3 weeks and it is still there. I just did not like the poor rear vision. Cars today Suck. They have such sloped rooflines and tiny rear windows.

My old school 92 MK2 GTI just got a new timing belt and engine seals. New front wheel bearing. New brake fluid. Oil change. $1000 later, it should serve me a while.

I will wait and see if more Mazda 3's come up end of year if I don't buy the iA or iM. There is not any base ones.

I even looked into a base Subaru Impreza, way too much.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts